Roon Core

MachineHP Laptop

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Sky Q Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

3000+

Description of Issue

The Roon playlist Classical Weekend is listed, typically, by Artist, with no mention of the Composer! I thought the metadata for classical music had been revised to include this trifling detail. Summer Dreams For Piano is performed by Genova and Dimitrov, but who the f*** wrote the piece? Does it even matter?

Youā€™re right, things could be easier to find out, butā€¦
ā€¦ if you click the three dots to the right of the title in question and then click ā€œGo toā€¦ā€ the album, all desired info is laid bare:
Itā€™s Amy Beach!

1 Like

Clunky, but there! Thanks. But why oh why canā€™t Roon have a column with the Composer? I mean, isnā€™t that the most important thing? I failed to see any benefit from the new Roon build, and it obviously didnā€™t address what I consider to be a basic issue. i.e. not just ā€˜Symphonyā€™ but whose symphony?

1 Like

To be fair, the album title reads Beach: Complete Works for Piano Duoā€¦ so with your example, the composer is indirectly mentioned. But not so in other pieces of the playlist. It seems as if the playlist feature simply doesnā€™t differentiate between ā€˜classicalā€™ pieces where the composer info is vital, and ā€˜non-classicalā€™ pieces where it is less soā€¦

My grievance with this particular list is the selection of Anne-Sophie Mutter and Salvatore Accardoā€™s recording of Bachā€™s Double Concertā€¦ that to me seems a really bad choiceā€¦

When I see a playlist, I want to know who the composer of each piece is. I am not going to click on every track to see the composer. Itā€™s clear to me that Roon are not bothered about people who listen to classical music. The same applies to Your Daily Mixes. One of mine reads, ā€˜James Horner Mix, Featuring John Williams, Anne-Sophie Mutter, Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles and more.ā€™ Really? Playing what? Worse than useless! Itā€™s a ā€˜featureā€™ thatā€™s unusable, at least as far as Iā€™m concerned.

1 Like

Donā€™t think thatā€™s the case. But anyway, I get that right now you are really offended and annoyed because of the missing composer columnā€¦

To tell you the truth, itā€™s been building up for months, but you learn to ring-fence aspects that donā€™t work. However, itā€™s rather galling to be paying monthly for an inferior (in this respect) service, and to see successive new builds that seem to have no effect and to focus on cosmetic improvements (peopleā€™s album art!), which I, for one, never even notice. Iā€™m waiting for Appleā€™s launch of Primephonic, and then I will be off!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.