Clean Up Library should list the "deleted" files it proposes to remove

I agree with the OP Roon needs to list what it’s deleted. I posted a similar ticket last night. I keep getting loads of deleted files in the first section, hundreds over the last month. I want to know what these are. I have not changed my storage path and don’t delete from Roon or the drive attached to my ROCK. Its likely streaming services removing stuff from their catalogues but I need to know. I am loosing 30 albums worth at a time in some cases, this is a lot to loose from a collection streaming or local.

5 Likes

It does not clearly spell out where they are from. It gives you a list of possibles nothing more. We want a list of the items it’s deemed to delete. If it’s a streaming service due to loosing the rights or changing the version I need to know, so I can replace it. At the rate it’s clearing out files on my system I have lost over 500 tracks in the last month. That’s too many not it know what they where and from where.

4 Likes

What’s wrong with a simple list of files it’s removed in a simple to read log? Hardly difficult to create or understand that. Roon already had entries for the files in the dB.

4 Likes

Go ahead, describe a complete and friendly UI able to handle all the possibilities that is simple to code and support. Or do you want to click a button and have it dump to a text file with no explanation as to what the text file contains?

Show deleted files button in the library maintenance section, it shows a table of tracks its removed from the db, with, album , then file location (Tidal, Qobuz, Local with path). Basically the view you get in tracks already. You can also export as XL. Hardly rocket science.

It’s obvious you don’t care if dB entries are being removed from you library without any knowledge of what they are. I do, I use the streaming services a lot and want to know if i have to replace them.

2 Likes

Well Yes, why not??

Roon is fundamentally a Music Library Management, Integration and Delivery tool. If the Roon Library Cleanup is proposing to delete database entries or pointers, it is perfectly reasonable for a User to want to easily and quickly know what source or target objects are involved. How can that not be so?

Feature Requests is a stream where Roon Users can post requests for changes or additional features that they would like to see made available. The only appropriate responses from other Roon Users are to say “Yes, that would be good, I also vote for this”, or to post a method of doing what is requested or a workaround.

I do not understand why you would go into battle to put down a reasonable request and to argue against it, unless the request fundamentally changes the way Roon works in other aspects such that Roon is degraded.

It is up to Roon staff to determine if a Feature Request is worthy of consideration and implementation, not other Users, and it is puzzling why you would take it upon yourself to effectively attack what to me and others, seems a perfectly reasonable function. How easy or difficult to implement the feature is technically is irrelevant, and is up to Roon Devs to resolve, not Roon users to challenge other Roon Users on.

Why on earth should Roon not make it easy and automatic to get a list of deletions to enable User investigation/remediation? If you have a workaround, fair enough, post the helpful response, it there is a feature that does what the OP is requesting but he has not discovered it and you know how to do it, fair enough - post the helpful response. If you don’t want or need such a feature, fair enough, just move on.

7 Likes

I think the OP is asking for something like this, if not, I am :slight_smile: … Add a “View Details” link so you can see listed what is about to be removed from the library database with a “clean” action.

18 Likes

That’s exactly it and it displays like the track view with location of where they are from, which Roon is perfectly capable of doing already.

1 Like

Roon alreay monitors my library - that’s how it can identify this situation and suggest deleting the entries. It already has code and a UI to create and display a list of files it’s having a problem with - that’s what it does with the Skipped Files item already available under Libraries.

What you are defending is analogous to you, in a physical Library and acting like Roon, going to the Librarian and saying “I can’t find 5 books on the shelves, so I want to delete them from the catalog”. Do you think the Librarian would say “Sure, go ahead and do that”. Or, do you think the Librarian would say “What books are they? We need to see what happened to them before we remove them from the catalog.”

To put it another way, Roon, by asking whether you want to delete the entries, implies that you have a decision to make, and that there are alternatives to giving it the go ahead to delete. Unfortunately, right now Roon doesn’t give you any information about what those entries might be.

I think that’s worth fixing, and don’t think it would be terribly hard to implement. You disagree. Neither of us knows for sure what the cost/benefit result would be. We should probably agree to disagree.

6 Likes

+1
For me as a predominantly streaming user of ROON I have often looked at this screen and wondered if I should “clean my library”

If the files are removed from a streaming service, I’d like to know.

If I clean my library and the files are re-added to the service I assume I won’t get them back.
If I don’t remove them and they are re-added do they reappear in my library?
If there are a mixture of local files that I do wish to remove and streaming files that I don’t can I separate these two to allow a partially dusted library?

At the moment it’s a confusing feature that I would like to see updated.

3 Likes

Dear “Feature Request” team. I’ve had this phenomenon happen again. There I was randomly playing with settings, as you do, I goto Library Maintenance, and there are 22 files to clean up. Why? What are they? Where’d it find them? What happened? Who knows?! It’s extremely disconcerting. We need a “View details” link here at very least, as suggested (with picture) above. Thanks!

3 Likes

This makes a lot of sense to me as well. I just checked, and there’s no additional detail available in the RoonServer_log.txt either. I was sort of hoping maybe the files would be listed in the debug logs on the server as a hack-ish way to see what’s up.

I’ve got 10 “deleted files” to clean up and I’d sure love to know what they are before I dump them.

+1 being able to view deleted files from Roon DB.

1 Like

Just checked again, and… it would be really nice to know what it’s cleaning up.

6 Likes

+1
I have the same problem. I want to know what has been removed from my Tidal account.

Old thread I know… but +1

But the files to Clean Up are no longer in your Roon library and by definition not in your Roon Watched folder(s)

In my case they are (carefully) Moved of Deleted files simply adding unwanted bulk to the library

The question is what and why, as you’ve no way of knowing? Perhaps you purposely deleted something, so ok. Perhaps a rare prized album becomes corrupt (Data Rot) and vanishes. You could restore it from a backup, if only you knew! A list of “clean up items” would be very useful.

3 Likes

Files are not moved, the database reference to the file is moved to “deleted files”.

By moved I meant that I had moved them to another location , not Roon