Click at the end of DSD tracks when ripped using XRECODE

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC i7 ROCK, Roon Version 1.7, build 610 stable 64bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet, 100MB NBN going through USBridge (RoonBridge, DietPi v 1.7, build 571) to SMSL M500 DAC (native DSD and MQA support)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB to DAC, ALSA.

Description Of Issue

Loud click/pop at the end of DSD tracks. Not there when skipping/manually going from song to song.

The answer that first springs to mind is that these tracks were ripped from SACDs with an older version of sacd_extract. If so, they need to be reconverted from the original ISO or edited.

If you attach the DAC to a Windows PC do you get the same click/pops?

Hi @Adam_Zulawnik,

Can you please try to navigate to Device Setup and set DSD Playback Strategy to “None” and try to play those files?

Roon should convert the files to PCM before output and this test will tell us if it’s the files themselves with the issue or with the DAC outputting DSD content.

1 Like

Thank you for all of the replies! Upon further investigation, the pop does not seem to happen on all DSD recordings, but on the ones with it, converting to PCM still has the same result (static-like pop).
Is this a file issue? As Kal suggested?
Adam

What would that indicate if there were no pops => it would be playing native DSD, maybe tru ASIO driver?

It would indicate that OS plays a factor in the issue. I"d seen posts on other forums indicating a potential clicking issue with Linux.

Ok, I think there must be an issue with the program I was using for iso => dsf conversion. I was using ‘XRECODE’ (as it seems pretty fast), whereas in the past I had used Sonore Iso2DSD. I never had problems with the latter and, indeed, having tried converting a problematic iso, it worked fine having gone through Iso2DSD. Any ideas why this may be happening? XRECODE seems quite versatile, but perhaps no so much for DSD?

1 Like

I have never used Xrecode so I can’t comment.

I’ve never used XRECODE for ISO-to-dsf conversion although I use it for lots of other functions.
ISO2DSD, otoh, is not a conversion program. It is a GUI or interface for programs that do the work, in this case, sacd_extract. There have been many versions of the original and also at least two divergent variants of it. The early versions of the original suffered from the fault of adding end-of-track clicks but the most recent versions do not. ISO2DSD, itself, has not changed.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.