Clicks, pops and sometimes playback stopping

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
2012 Mac Mini. 2.3GHz i7, quad core, 16 GB ram
Windstream 28MBs connection
Roon: 1.7 build 537
Apple: High Sierra 10.13.6
Direct connection Cat6 from modem to Mini Mac
Output through Focusrite 8PreX, Thunderbolt connection

Description Of Issue

I am experiencing (in the last month or so) clicks, pops and general disruption to Roon playback. Typically streaming from Tidal or Qobuz, but present in all sources (local/stream). I get a sense that I am experiencing processor overload, but not certain. I thought the system I bought (Mac Mini) was loaded with enough to run Roon easily. And, it did for the past several years. This is a new issues…on a system that has been stable (no changes) over the past 2 years.

Help, please.
Kevin

Hello @Kevin_Brode,

When the issue occurs, what is the reported Processing Speed in your Signal Path chain? If there’s an issue with the processor not keeping up, it would occur when the processing speed is under 1.2x or so.

Is this the only zone impacted by this issue or do you have other zones in your setup as well?

How often does the issue occur? Once a week? Once a day? Once an hour?

Thanks for your response. I’m not certain I understand where to find the processor speed in the signal path. My regular…or semi-regular signal path looks like this.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.51.41 AM

But, where would I uncover processing speed?

I’m currently only running one zone when this occurs (Focusrite Pre8x) fed into my studio amps/mixers (analog)

Won’t happen for a while…(possibly a few hours) then can start to occur…and will occur regularly for while (5-10 min). I typically get frustrated and either stop playback…rewind to start of the song, or re-boot Roon core (playing from core machine). Nothing consistently seems to work, other than a Core re-boot.

Kevin

Hi @Kevin_Brode,

It doesn’t look like there is a processing speed indicator in your screenshot, and this is a good thing. When there is no processing speed indicator, it means you’re over 100x processing speed, so I don’t suspect that this is due to a CPU issue.

Next, I’m wondering if just this Focusrite zone is affected or if all zones are. Could you try listening on your Mac’s System Output zone (the Mac’s internal speakers) and let me know if the issue reproduces there as well? Please listen for the time it takes to typically get into this state on the Focusrite.

Thanks for the response, and I’ll do as you suggested. Give me a day or two, and I’ll get back after I pull the Focusrite out of the chain, to see if there is a difference.

kevin

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.