Clicks, pops, and sputtering during 192kHz playback

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC icore7 w/ROCK
Roon 1.6 (Build 416)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet, comcast hi speed >100MBps

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NUC—> Allo Digione w/SPDIF connection —> REGA DAC-R

Description Of Issue

I’m having trouble with 192kHz playback, exclusively. When 192kHz tracks are included in any playlist, the signal fails to lock properly. The DAC sputters, in addition to audible clicks during playback. I can eventually get it to play this higher frequency, but I have to reboot Roon, as well as turn the DAC on and off several times. All other formats play beautifully, but whenever there’s a 192 track moves in, I have to reset the system to avoid this sputtering. I have what I assumed was a high quality spdif cable connected (audioquest). Also, I’ve attempted to introduce a 1-3 second delay in playback on the digione to promote stable signal locking, but the issue persists. Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you.

Hi @Kip_Conner,

Does this same behavior play for other endpoints? If you play to System Output of a remote is there any change in the behavior you see?

Thanks for your reply. I have not tried another endpoint. Would headphones directly out of the NUC be a proper test? Alternatively, what if I use my iPad as a playback device?

Thank you.

Hi @Kip_Conner,

Either of those would be a good test here. Knowing if the this occurs for all devices or just for the one endpoints will help us better understand why this is occurring.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.