Clipping counter / indicator

Would like to suggest a “clipping counter” feature. I would like to enable upsampling but I don’t think it’s reasonable to keep watch of the clipping indicator to know if and/or when clipping is occurring. If a tally of the number of clips during a track could be recorded for reference that would be great, or even if a single clip event occurs during a track that would enable one to make the smallest changes to manage headroom.

5 Likes

I have a couple songs I know clip and I know where. If upsampling I use those to adjust. But you’re absolutely right and this would be a nice feature. I don’t need to keep this data in the DB but a counter of the current track or queue would be helpful.

1 Like

Is the flashing red not a good indicator? Do you need a number?

So here’s the scenario: you’ve activated sample conversion to upsample at power of 2 (for example,) you’re listening to a redbook album and like what you hear, but, at let’s say, track 3, you notice (by chance) the clipping indicator fires once. So, you adjust the headroom by -1 (because you don’t want to attenuate the signal more than you have to) replay the track and no more clipping, BUT, you notice it again (by chance) on track 6, you need to attenuate more, right?
So unless you’re gong to watch the clipping indicator for the whole album my suggestion is, could it be simple to implement some kind of clipping counter?

2 Likes

I’m not sure how many people just stare continuously at or near the Roon signal path listening to music, watching for clipping. I don’t.

HQPlayer has a limiting counter.

This is would be a useful feature for Roon @brian

2 Likes

I agree. A long time ago I used Brutefir (BrutefirDRC for LMS). When clipping occurred I could mostly hear it, but more importantly also see it in logs. Brutefir logged the exact dB amount of clipping making it easy to adjust levels.

2 Likes

Trying to revive an old suggestion.

Playing now with convolution filters and so I activated Headroom and clipping indicator.

Find it a bit frustrating to have to focus for several songs on the clipping dot to check if headroom is enough or not.

Wouldn’t be possible to add a clipping indicator counter, as others have suggested in the past, or a red bar on the song progress bar that stays there till the next song?

This way one could just check at the end of the song if somme clipping occurred (counter or several red bars) or not instead of concentrating on the red dot and risking missing it if distracted even for a second.

1 Like

Rather than writing yet another feature suggestion and diluting the votes for this, it would be better to add your vote to the existing one with the most votes, which seems to be this one - only 2 though. I agree this would be a better solution

Agree with you but before posting, I did vote on that one.

As it was a year old and had only 5 comments and 2 votes (even the OP didn’t vote… :sunglasses:) I was hoping to raise more awareness from all the newcomers from the last year.

Did even find another similar topic from 2019, alas with very little success as well…

While a persistent indicator would unquestionably be a better design, we might have to accept that it’s not high on the list for many people. After all, while watching during tracks is annoying, it’s something not done very often and personally I spent my votes on other things as well :slight_smile:
Generally I would love if Roon had the staff to keep suggestions better groomed and if people in general searched more (although you did). There’s many where 5 different posts have votes distributed over them. Maybe it’s just my sense of order getting out of hand …

I get your point and appreciate your comments.

Maybe I’m just sensible to this point in particular because I’m trying to fine-tune my system right now…

Apart from this I must say that I’m quite happy about Roon and it has been a flawless experience for the last 2 years.

1 Like

Well it seems Carl heard you…. Only one topic now…:sunglasses:

1 Like