Collection and audio devices disappeared from Linux Core

Hi Noris,

I managed to indentify the 8GB memory strip that produces the errors. The other 8GB I have tested 6 passes without any error. So while waiting for retailer to come with a solution, I can still work and try to fix Roon.
So I made a new database (renaming the old one to *.old2) and restored the most recent backup. This went fine, but after hitting relaunch it gave the same problem as before.
After that I reinstalled Roon Server, renamed database to *.old3 and restored most recent backup. Again resulting in the same old problem.
Lastly, suspecting corrupted backup, I renamed database to *.old4 and restored the backup previous to the latest and this seems to work. I can’t remember what the latest changes to the database were, but I can live with the loss of an afternoon’ s work.
However I am a bit reluctant do do anything to the database as I don’t know what will happen when making a backup. And why did things go wrong in the first place? I backed up, but didn’t restore a backup before it went wrong. Is there any way of determining what has gone wrong? Hope we can still find out!

With many thanks for your help (and patience!) so far and kindest greetings,

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

If the hardware was faulty, it is possible that bad info was written to the latest backup.

If the RAM issue has been resolved and the faulty RAM has been removed, we can check to see if there are any further signs of issues in diagnostics. Is everything behaving as expected after the latest restore, are your audio devices and library properly loading now?

At one point new backups will need to be made, so you may want to give this a try regardless. I would save the 2nd to last backup (the one you restored) some safe and give a manual backup + restore a try. If everything loads up as expected once more then we have more confidence that the backup is still intact.

– Noris

Dear Noris,

Good news: yesterday I found the courage to make a new backup and this morning (after reading your reply) I restored it. Everything went as expected! I am now confident the problem is solved. Hopefully I will get new memory from retailer soon, although it seems everything works just as flawless and fast with 8GB as with 16GB…

Anyhow, once again many thanks for your help and patience!

Kindest greetings from sunny Holland,

Marcel

1 Like

Hi @Marcel_van_Tilburg,

Glad to hear that the backups are now properly working after removing the faulty RAM!

It looks like you are on your way here towards resolving the replacement with the supplier, but since the issue is resolved on our end I will go ahead and mark this thread as [solved].

If you have any issues in the future, don’t hesitate to reach out to us again. Hope you have a great continued Roon experience and a pleasant day!

– Noris

… many thanks again, Noris!

Kindest regards!

Marcel

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.