Comfort Volume set to 70% yet frequently starts at 100%?

I have the Comfort Volume set to 70% for one of my zones, but I’ll frequently start playing something and it’s at 100%. Even when I manually adjust the volume I never set it to 100%, so I know I’m not doing it – the app is. I’ve seen it in both the main Windows app and in the iPhone remote app.

Is this expected behavior? I would think if I set the Comfort Volume to 70%, then it would never go above that level without me explicitly tapping the + button. And I would also assume that when I quit the Roon server app on my PC, the next time I start it up, the volume for that zone would be reset to 70% if I was previously listening at, say, 80%

No?

Hi @armandhammer,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does this issue only happen with one zone in particular? If so what is the model/manufacturer of the affected device?

Roon Server on Windows 10 Pro, standard desktop tower PC with AMD Ryzen 3600, AMD RX 5500 XT Graphics, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD system drive, 8TB hard disk for music files.

Connected by 1 GbE to an Archer C7 v5 router.

Endpoint is Raspberry Pi 4 B+ running latest Ropieee XL connected via 1 GbE to the same router. Software is completely up to date.

Roon Remote is running on an iPhone 11 with latest iOS 14 updates, connected at 5Ghz to the same router (at least 300mbit/sec and never more than 4m away from the router).

I have 2 zones:

  1. “RPC” which is the USB audio output of my PC to a DAC. Here I have Comfort Volume set to 50%. I have never seen it start initial playback any higher than this.

  2. “RLR” which is the Ropieee endpoint USB to a DAC. Here I have Comfort Volume set to 70%. It almost always resets to 100%, even though the UI clearly shows it’s “in the red”. This happens on both the Roon Server on PC and the Remote app on iPhone. In the Roon Settings>Audio>RLR>Device Setup I have it set to “Volume Control: Device Volume”. Other than the Comfort Volume, everything else is set to the defaults.

Except for this one issue, Roon seems to be performing flawlessly.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Update: I changed a setting on the Ropieee web configurator – the RLR zone was set “Volume: Software”… I changed it to “Volume: None”. I will see if this makes a difference and report back in a day or two.

1 Like