Community page grammar

For someone with mother tongue UK English (of Irish origin living in Denmark), the grammar of the opening sentence of the Community page reads wrong.

The Roon Knowledge Base with its User Guide and FAQ sections is great places to find answers to common questions or issues.

I suggest:

The Roon Knowledge Base, with its User Guide and FAQ sections, is a great place to find answers to common questions or issues.

Or:

The Roon Knowledge Base and its User Guide and FAQ sections, are great places to find answers to common questions or issues.

6 Likes

My mother in law would be proud of you.

A lot of possibilities here. What about:

Yoah roonies, check out dee dope Roon Knowledge Base, with its User Guide and FAQ sections, for all your jip.

3 Likes

Tony, where are you seeing this? I can’t seem to find that page. A link would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Geoff,

I’m normally logged into the Community so I don’t see the first page. This version looks very different to the one I remember so that was why I read it instead of clicking through.

OK - found it. I’ll report it (I can’t change that page myself)

Fixed. Thanks @Tony_Casey.

1 Like

:nerd_face:

I hope that no one will take any offense from the title of this video; it is in the Urban Dictionary. :grimacing:

Enjoy! :grinning:

8 Likes

:smile: . .

I would suggest that your grasp of English is also a little tenous, I think you may have meant to say, “the grammar, etc, reads incorrectly.”

1 Like

Do you read grammar, or interpret it? The sentence reads incorrectly, or the grammar is incorrect :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That would of course refer to the grammar itself, not the text. Perhaps it would be best to say, “the text of the sentence does not follow normal English grammar rules.” (Sorry, Jesuit-educated. :smile:)

Good points made. I humbly stand corrected!

Either “The syntax of this sentence is grammatically incorrect” or “These words is well out of order”.

2 Likes

The Roon Knowledge Base, including the User Guide and FAQ section, is a great place to find answers to common questions and issues.

Where’s Gödel?

2 Likes

Chrome translates this into Danish as

“Syntaks for denne sætning er grammatisk forkert”. This was immediately corrected by my wife to

“Syntaksen for denne sætning er grammatisk forkert” (as Chrome missed out the definite article. “the”) :anguished:

Of course that was an opportunity for the Norweigian in laws to chime in and remind us that in Norway things are not quite so simple. It was only in 1929 by a single vote in the Norweigan Parliament that the official term for written Norweigian was agreed by statute. That was Bokmål (literally “book tongue”) rather than the Dano-Norwegian of the urban elites. Today written Norweigian has two standards, Bokmål and Nynorsk. Each Norwegian municipality must declare one of the two its official written language, or it can remain “language neutral”. Nynorsk is endorsed by a minority of 27 percent of the municipalities. The written language used in primary schools normally follows the official language of its municipality but it is decided by referendum within the local school district.

I didn’t ask if grammar mistakes were a hanging offence in Norway :confounded:

1 Like

including the User Guide and FAQ sections (plural) :grinning:

1 Like

Should that be “reads wrongly”?

I know that the “ly” is now dropped from common usage. I just wanted to please Pim’s Mother-in-Law.