Comparisons of microRendu and Aries

In spite of what audiophiles often write (“OMG!”) - IME such differences are often subtle and often come down to personal preference, not better or worse.

I like the SQ with the mR better than with a direct USB connection (with or without a USB cleanup device in line); but I can imagine someone else having the opposite preference. Same with several other aspects of my system. That’s why I like it when reviewers directly compare 2 components and describe the differences - that often gives me a big clue about which one I’d prefer (which isn’t the same as saying which is better).

I also prefer the software, form factor, and convenience of the mR, but those are different considerations.

1 Like

Preferred to?

Everything else I’ve seen or tried.

As Roon Bridge transports?

I just bought a RPi3 with case, mem card, power supply, and other etc etc for $65 on Amazon with next-day prime delivery. Let’s see how that works. It’s certainly cheaper than the Aries :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re only using Roon as your streaming solution then any Roon Bridge setup is a set and forget configuration…install the OS, install Roon Bridge, press play. There’s no need for a UI because post initial install there’s nothing to maintain or configure. I’m sure you’ll find the Pi will do the job nicely.

There are plenty of counter points:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144180.msg1544521#msg1544521

SONORE computer audio - Rendu | microRendu | Sonicorbiter SE

It sounds superior In whatever format you use it, IME. It has several, not just Roon.

If you don’t believe in something like the mR, there are cheaper options, even some with similar software options (SonicOrbiter, SOtM SMS-200 and the (discontinued but available 2nd hand) SMS-100. Or of course PI and Cubox, if you are okay with fiddling a bit.

[quote=“danny2, post:28, topic:12732”]
It has several, not just Roon.
[/quote]yip, thx, I’m aware of that, as a Roon’s all I use its only use as a Roon Bridge I’m interested in .

Would love to see a comparison like this of the rendu with DIY devices like the Pi and BeagleBone Black.

Edit: Looks like you are saying the ARM devices are a better bank for the buck (missed that on the first read). But I still would like to see you compare them side to side and see if you can hear the difference.

I’ve used a bunch of variations on this theme, from CuBox-i with Volumio (<$100) end to microRendu with a Teddy Pardo PS (~$1000) through a Sonicorbiter SE and a SOtM sMS-100, with and without a Bel Canto mLink USB>coax isolator/reclocker. Even the cheapest combo was acceptable, but the two I have in operation now aret as follows: Sonicorbiter SE+DC iPurifier>mLink (>Bel Canto C7R integrated DAC/amp>KEF Reference 1s) and microRendu+Teddy Pardo (>Schiit Bifrost Multibit>Schiit Asgard 2>MrSpeakers Alpha Prime). I’ve not compared all possible combos of these components, but microRendu+TeddyPardo beats sMS100+TeddyPardo>mLink beats sMS100+SMPS>mLink beats sMS100+SMPS (all into Bifrost Multibit playing FLAC with MPD/DLNA). Improvements are mainly in attack/decay reproduction and instrument separation and placement, bringing me closer to the many live jazz and classical shows I get to, often with the same musicians that I listen to recorded. For example, just listening on my speaker system with Roon (not the one with the microRendu) to the Brad Mehldau Trio on “Everything in Its Right Place” (from “Anything Goes”). I’ve heard Mehldau and this trio’s bassist Larry Grenadier live many times. What I’m hearing now sounds closer to the live experience than with the earlier setups, but I’m planning to get another microRendu with a good PS for the speaker system for that extra ounce of clarity that I heard on my headphone system.

1 Like

Who is this Chris you talk of?

I think he meant Chris Connacker, the founder of Computer Audiophile https://www.computeraudiophile.com/

Ah, now I understand. Thanks