Composer Formats

@joel

Hi Joel I thought you may just off the cuff

For a variety of reasons, I still maintain my JRiver library and add compositions and movements manually to major works and composers. I use MusiCHI tagger to automate this where possible .By default the Composer is set to a format

Beethoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827)

Currently I manually edit all back to just Beethoven , except for the Bach’s etc

I also use SongKong which defaults to the MusicBrainz format

Ludwig van Beethoven

Will Roon play happily with these formats ? I saw somewhere recently (???) that Roon doesn’t

Do you know or anyone who does

Cheers

Mike

From the KB article on file tag best practice:

One thing worth noting is that Roon will attempt to match up names that you have put into your file tags with Roon database versions of the same individuals who are associated with identified content in your library. You’ll get much better results if you stick with the likes of the following:

• Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
  • Pyotr Il’yich Tchaikovsky
  • Paul McCartney
  • Richard Rodgers; Oscar Hammerstein II

than if you use:

• Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus
  • Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
  • Rodgers and Hammerstein

That’s correct Geoff. @Mike_O_Neill We don’t currently recognize the Beethoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827) kind of format.

1 Like

What about a straight Beethoven

I don’t really want to sort by Christian Name

Currently I have Beethoven, Mozart

Bach JS is simply Bach except for Bach CPE

Mike

You don’t have to - sort order is selectable in Roon, either first or last name can be chosen. Or are you talking about a non-Roon environment?

I have a common library between Roon and JRiver, I have devices that need DLNA so I need both

It’s the non Roon bit I am concerned about

What might help you: the “Sort” tags - like Sort Album, Sort Album Artist and Sort Composer - for common tags see for instance: https://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html

With a little luck your tagging software supports batch processing so creating the Sort fields from its “unsorted” parent may not be too much of work.

In jRiver, you probably have to tweak the sort settings afterwards.

Alternatively if it’s just for jRiver you could try to use its inline field manipulation functionality (calculation fields). I got rid of my installation a while back so I can’t check how this works - but if you go to the jRiver forum I’m sure there were examples on how to do this with expressions somehow.

Hi Mike.
Composer field is the displayName , but there is also a ComposerSort field and is this the sortName. Songkong adds both fields, when you play your music outside of Room any player should sort by sortName yet display bydisplayName so there should be no issue with metadata used by Songkong

Thanks Paul, I have only scratched the surface of my library with SongKong so far

My big problem is that I need to maintain a DLNA server to feed my sound bar , it’s Samsung and not Roon Ready, so any change I make with SongKong rewrites Tags in JRiver as well.

My composers are set Beethoven etc, SongKong makes them Ludwig van Beethoven and the like. I need to bite the bullet sometime and change the Composer format

I’m not feeling that brave at the moment, the chance of a screw up is HIGH …

Mike

Hi, you can also configure Songkong to not change any particular field, or only add info to field if currently empty