Composer vs Lyricist

I would love to see metadata distinguish between composers and lyricists (and songwriters). Also identifying the arranger would be great! I listen to a lot of Brazilian music from the 50s through the 70s and the collaborations between the various artists I think is one of the most interesting parts of the music, and something I think Roon is uniquely positioned to really do well.

It would also be great to have a way to submit metadata as I have a lot of stuff not in your database, and would like to take advantage of the richer model you provide over ID3 tags.

I’ll have to see if we get this from any of our metadata providers. My guess is that we don’t, as I could see this getting pretty subjective, but I’ll check, and if you see this data anywhere, definitely let us know.

Me too :slight_smile: Any favorites?

Thanks for the reply. It’s not really clear to me what you are relying on service providers for vs what you are providing yourself. If this is something you are relying on third parties for, it might be a difficult request to satisfy. And you are correct, sometimes the distinction isn’t clear (that’s when I’d use songwriter). Some of the Brazilian songs from that era have an English translation that was written by a different lyricist than the original, which makes it even more complicated.

It is hard to pick a favorite, I like for example Edu Lobo por Edu Lobo or Som Definitivo by Quarteto em Cy where it is a collaboration with the Tamba Trio. I also really love Baden Powell who was also incredibly prolific. I have over 50 albums and still am missing several. My favorite period is 1958-1967, covering the transition of Samba-Canção to Bossa Nova, the Jazz Trio era and the very beginning of the festival era.

1 Like

This is beautiful – thanks for the recommendation.

Glad to hear it!