Composition stubbornly resist editing

Something of a Roon neophyte so there may be a glaringly obvious solution to my problem. I have ripped my CD collection (along with my iTunes library) onto a NAS drive to use Roon to manage it and play throughout the house. I set the global setting to prefer the file metadata on import for Title, Album Artist, and Composition/Part Grouping. I am now working my way through the albums to modify the entries to fit in with how I want to index the information. While most of the time this works well I have come across a few albums or compositions that stubbornly resist changes. Two examples:-

1. Maxim Vengerov “Violin Sonatas”, Teledec 76349:

Despite all my efforts, this always shows up the Mendelssohn Violin Sonata as the Violin Concerto both in the album details, under the composer, and under the composition.

File Info: (for the first movement of the Sonata)
/roon/sys/storage/smbmounts/RoonStorage_5e743c69b46d04b5312793fa8e760ca60b091e0d/Music/Maxim Vengerov/Beethoven, Mozart & Mendelssohn; Violin Sonatas/08 Maxim Vengerov - Violin Sonata in F major; I. Allegro molto appassionato.flac

In track editor the title of the track is: Violin Sonata in F major: I. Allegro molto appassionato. In the track listing, this is what is shown.

When I identify the album, the right album comes up with the correct metadata track on the RHS but the LHS shows the Violin Concerto, not the Violin Sonata. The Beethoven and Mozart Sonatas on the same disc are correct.

1. Corelli “12 Concerti Grossi”, DG 028942362628:

Here all the concerti show up as though they were movements of one composition called Concerti grossi (12), Op.6. Again taking one track as an example:

File info: /roon/sys/storage/smbmounts/RoonStorage_5e743c69b46d04b5312793fa8e760ca60b091e0d/Music/Trevor Pinnock/Corelli; 12 Concerti Grossi, Op. 6, Disc 1/12 Simon Standage - Concerti Grossi (12), Op. 6; Concerto no. 3 in C minor~Largo.flac

Listing in Track Editor: Concerto Grosso Op 6 No 3 in C minor: Largo. Again this is what shows up in Track Listing.

How can I get the Album Listing to properly separate the tracks between each of the 12 Concerti?

System Info:

I’m running Roon 1.5 (Build 339) 64 bit on Windows 10 Pro using a Thinkpad and a MyCloud 1TB NAS drive (soon to be upgraded to a Synology one). Network is using a BT Router. The laptop is hardwired to the router which in turn is hardwired to the NAS drive and the Roon Nucleus.

Collection size is 9100 tracks.

Hey @Ian_Boulton,

Apologies for the delayed response here! We’ve investigated your reports and I wanted to follow up with you on our findings.

Maxim Vengerov “Violin Sonatas”, Teledec 76349

This incorrect metadata appears to be coming from TiVo, as seen here:

In this case, the best option to have this resolved is to submit a correction directly to AllMusic. You can find the corrections link toward the bottom left of the page, as seen here:

Corelli “12 Concerti Grossi”, DG 028942362628

Currently our metadata provider has the metadata for this album as a single composition. In this case, if you’d like to change the structure, using WORK/PART tags is going to be the best option.

In the future we hope to present different structure options for hierarchical compositions (though I can’t provide any specific timeframes for such a feature at this time).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Dylan