Configure Mac Space Bar to NOT start/stop music

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Nucleus V1 Build 174

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear routers using wifi and ethernet for connectivity

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

dcs Bartok using ethernet for connection, controlled with MacBook running Mojave

Description Of Issue

Hitting the space bar causes the music to pause and resume. This is a sudden change - didn’t use to do that. Is there a way to configure things so that this doesn’t happen - maybe a setting on the MacBook?

Are you sure it didn’t used to do that? Play/Pause on the spacebar is a common shortcut for many music and video players and DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) in Mac and Windows. Shortcuts are not user configurable AFAIK. You can list them but there doesn’t seem to be any way to remap or disable them. Happy to be corrected.

Thanks, Anthony. Yes, I’m aware of it as a feature that I’ve sometimes used with other apps, but have always found it to be something I don’t like on my music server. It’s never worked with Roon before (Maybe I’ve missed it happening all these months? Always possible.), but it started doing it today. I was just hoping maybe someone knew a workaround.

Today! What changed today in your setup?

I know - odd, yes? As far as I know nothing has changed. There’s a Mojave OS update waiting to be installed, but as far as I know not a thing changed.

May be related to other software on your Mac then possibly? Is any other software intercepting the spacebar keystrokes for its own purposes? That might explain why it is intermittent, it may depend upon what else you have running in the background.

You can get keyboard remapping software but I don’t know if they work with Roon. If the behaviour is intermittent, it won’t help though until it stabilises and is repeatable.

One other possibility, butterfly keyboard…:slight_smile:

Hi @Michael_Turner,

This isn’t something that can be configured right now. There is a Feature Request open regarding this that I definitely recommend adding your voice to.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so that’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.