Confused about the 'lights' next to the song name [Solved]

Clicking on the blue ‘light’ next to the song name brings a little screen. The source is shown in a type of purple star, which I presume means bit perfect. However, the output is shown as OS Mixer, with a green light. What does that mean? the output is not bit perfect? My DAC is switching resolutions correctly.

Would be grateful for any explanation.

Thanks

I had the same issue. Assuming your DAC is connected directly to your computer, go to settings - audio and disable Core audio. Only you DAC should be enabled. This way you should see a purple star instead of the blue dot next to song that’s playing.

The OS Mixer will mix sounds from your sound program with the rest of the OS. It will also resample and/or do other manipulations of the audio stream.

If you want bit perfect, turn on Exclusive Mode and we will negotiate directly with the endpoint, and then bypass everything to send a bit perfect stream to the endpoint.

Thanks Danny. How do I turn on Exclusive Mode? I can’t seem to find it in the Settings.

Got it :smile:

From the drop down DSD menu, I suppose I am going to have to use DoP for DSD, right?

which DAC which platform do you use Roon on?

I did not find the link indicating which light stays for which resolution! ( green, yellow, purple ecc)
Can anybody help ?

Is this what you’re looking for?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-is-signal-path/3137

Cheers, Greg

Yes thank you! I just wonder what would be the difference between green and purple, I.e. high quality and “lossless”…

I believe it has to do with the amount of signal processing involved.

For example, a lossless flac album sent through to an AirPlay device like Apple TV will be green. However, if you set up your DAC in exclusive mode, you should see purple.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Greg