Connecting Nucleus to Mark Levinson No.526 USB

Hi,

I have tried to connect a Nucleus to a Mark Levinson No.526 preamplifier with built in dac through its USB 2.0 input. When I am trying activate the ML dac it is only shown very shortly in the Audio menu and disappears after that. If a computer are used as a USB source, it demand a specific sofware driver to be installed. Is it possible to install a suitable USB driver in the Nucleus?

The USB input uses a CMedia chip to receive data.

Is this DAC/Preamp Roon Ready? :face_with_monocle:

You cant install a driver on a Nucleus as it is Linux based. Mark Levinson provides drivers for MAC and Windows, Linux is often supported without any need for drivers as Linux has UAC2 drivers built in.

Strange thing is that you see it in the menu for a short while. My TAD dac is not Roon tested but it showed up directly on ALSA output (USB) when I connected my NUC with ROCK directly to it. My SOtM sMS-200ultra also connected directly to it whitout any problems.

1 Like

It would appear that the CMedia USB receiver chip only supports USB audio class 2.0 (sample rates > 96K) using their drivers and those drivers are only available for Windows or Mac. It apparently does support USB audio class 1.0 natively in Linux, but that’s going to limit you to a maximum of 24/96. You may need to switch the DAC into class 1.0 mode for this to work.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you every one for your help - I will try and see if it is possible to change the settings for the USB input.

BR
Björn