Connecting to Nucleus other than through iPad

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Fios internet connected via Buffalo router and gigabit switch. Nucleus is hardwired to switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Sim 390 Ethernet

Description Of Issue
I have a Nucleus on my network via switch connected to router. My main connection is via iPad and works fine. I am no longer able to connect to the Nucleus via my MacBook which is where I add music by accessing the internal storage of the Nucleus . It simply says connection failed. I have rebooted the Nucleus and the router and nothing changes. This is a new development as I have been able to connect in the past.
Thanks

Do you have an automatic connection that runs at boot up or do you usually access it manually through finder?
Can you see the nucleus in the finder window?
What version of MacOS are you running?

I do it manually. I am running 10.15.2 Catalina. I do see Nucleus in the “network” window in finder but it always says “connection failed.” I have also noticed that neither my Mac which has Roon on it nor my Android phone will connect to the core. My iPad is the only device that will connect.

Do you have any firewalls enabled, you could try disabling them, are you trying to connect as your user or as guest, it is recommended to connect as guest.

Not that I am aware of. The only new piece of gear is a new switch. However, I disconnected the Nucleus from the switch and put it directly into the router and it still will not connect.

When I try to directly connect to the Nucleus storage this window pops up
**There was a problem connecting to the server “NUCLEUS”.**The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

Hello @Andrew_Rocker,

Can you please share a few screenshots of the issue to help clarify?

Can you check to see if Roon is still allowed past the MacOS firewall? You can use these instructions to check this aspect.

Have you tried rebooting the Nucleus after re-connecting it to the router?

I will try to add the screenshots. I did not reboot after going from switch to router. Also cannot understand why iPad is only one of 3 remotes that will connect to core. Mac won’t and neither will Android phone.

37%20PM

Firewall is off.

Hi @Andrew_Rocker,

It looks like you’re trying to access the Nucleus’ internal storage in those screenshots, is it still accessible via Roon as a Core?

I noticed you have a “Connect As…” button in the top right-hand corner of your second screenshot, what happens if you click on that? Can you try logging into the Nucleus as “guest”?

Yes I am trying to access the storage as well as using the Mac as a Roon remote. I can do neither. I can only access the core via the iPad as the remote. Below is a screen shot of what comes up when I click on “connect as.” I do not know how to log in as a guest.
34%20PM

HI @Andrew_Rocker,

For connecting to the Nucleus storage, can you please try using MacOS’ Connect to Server feature? You would need to put in the IP address of the Nucleus and connect as a guest using that interface, does that work?

What is the IP address of your Mac and IP address of the Nucleus? Are they both on the same subnet? Can you please share a screenshot of what it looks like when you try to connect to the Nucleus via your Mac?

I am able to access the Nucleus via the Connect to Server as a guest using the IP address of the Nucleus.

I am not sure of how to find the Mac IP address or any of the other information you are requesting. Here is the screenshot I get when I try to run Roon on the Mac:

Hi @Andrew_Rocker,

Great news that you’ve been able to connect using Connect to Server.

What happens if you click on “Select a different Core”, do you see the Nucleus pop up on that list?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Backing up Nucleus music

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.