Connecting two DACs from same manufacturer to Mac/Roon

(Tom Williams) #1

Hi,

When I connect two DACs from the same manufacturer (iFi Nano iDSD Black Label and iFi xDSD) to my iMac via USB, they do not show up as two separate output options in Roon. It looks like Roon will only recognise one at a time.

My guess is its something to do with the same firmware being on both DACs and that Roon is unable to differentiate between the two.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know a way round it?

Cheers,
Tom

(Dylan Caudill) #3

Hi @Tom_Williams,

Can you verify that the firmware on both of these devices are up to date?

Is it always one that is recognized, while the other is never recognized, or does it just matter which is connected first?

If you connect them both individually without the other, do they both show up?

1 Like
(Noris) #4

Hi @Tom_Williams,

In addition to @dylan’s excellent suggestions I would also make sure that the two zones have two separate names in Roon. You should be able to rename them in the Roon Settings -> Audio tab.

1 Like
(Tom Williams) #5

Hi @dylan @noris ,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes the firmware on both is up to date (5.3c).

If one device has been plugged in (this works fine and device/zone named accordingly), then the other is then plugged in to a separate USB port on the iMac, the first device is ‘lost’ and the new one replaces it in the Roon Audio settings tab (maintains the first devices’ zone name).

It seems they both can’t appear at the same time as different devices.

Cheers,

Tom

(Noris) #6

Hi @Tom_Williams,

Thanks for confirming that aspect. Can you let me know if this behavior is the same if the DACs are connected to the Core directly or to a PC Roon Remote (if you by any chance have on available)? Can you share a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio tab when both are plugged in? You can use these instructions to upload screenshots to this site.

(Tom Williams) #7

Hi @noris

My Core is on a QNAP TS-251+, so there are no DACs connected directly to that.

I have plugged both in to the iMac, but as you can see on the screenshot only one is showing (IFI 9by AMR) HD USB Audio Output).

Thanks,

Tom