Connection Failure with official 7” Raspberry Pi Display

This is the original Feedback identifier.

Unique Identifier 546adffac7ddddc1

Hi @Craig_Logan,

You are not running the latest version as I mentioned before.
Please make sure you install RoPieee’s latest version.

Thanks

@spockfish

I need your guidance. I got the software from the Ropieee.org website under Software->Ropieeexl->Raspsberry Pi 4->Image.

The version this produced is Ropieeexl 2022.04 (0180)

Where should I get the software from?

That’s it.

1 Like

I got a new identifier.

f4dc6674c51842f5

Ok. Everything is fine, except that the extension is not communicating with the core.
So you need to be able to enable the RoPieee extension in Roon.

If it does not show up there (as with previous versions), you need to start looking in your infrastructure. The extension is running, so it should show up in Roon. Only after you enabled it (paired it) the display will start showing content.

Thanks

@spockfish

Is there a way in Roon that I can trigger a search for the extension?

No that works instantly and continuously (service discovery). If it does not show up there’s something going on in your infrastructure.

Did you already rebooted your Roon server?

Yes. I did a few times. I even switch computers to establish a new Roon core. I went from a Nucleus, to HP windows PC, then to another HP PC. Each time the Extension failed to show up. I’ve switched the Ethernet switches that the RPI is attached to.

Early on in my experimentation to fix the problem myself, I did see the Extension. I authorized it. Then deauthorized it after the screen only worked briefly then reverted to an Error message stating that there was a connection failure. I fear that this early action may be the source of my continued problem with the display.

@Jim_F @Marin_Weigel @spockfish @wizardofoz

Thanks for your help. The display is working at about 90%. The album art and song data are displaying properly.

If I can get the on screen buttons to work, my setup will be at 100%. Any suggestions?

Even with the Extension enabled, music will not play. The remote shows the songs rapidly changing without starting. The unique identifier is 5d08d3f82be5e919.

Now, that’s a different problem which usually has to do with sub par network performance.
You are on Ethernet IIRC - something with your infrastructure must be fishy.

And your on-screen buttons not working sounds fishy also. Pls check the display’s flat cable proper seat in the RPi’s connector and also inspect for defects maybe.
Looking for straws, you could switch screen orientation in Ropieee’s Web Administration screen, check functionality, then switch back and see - but i doubt that this might help.

What Marin says: this is a different problem.

Wrt to the logs: I can only help when you give more information then: “it does not work, here are the logs”. Furthermore I also see in the logs that you switched USB DAC’s so that also does not help in figuring out what’s going on.

That being said:

With the Schiit I see a lot of errors (presumably the fast skipping you mention) and these errors are related to a format it does not understand: 32 bits sample width. (format is pcm 96000/32/2)

So I think that’s the problem: your sending audio to your DAC that it does not understand. Hence it will proceed with the next track … and repeat.

Thanks

try limiting the format to 24/96 or even 24/48 or even 16/44.1 - get back to basics and work your way up from there.

Usually, redoing the Device Setup will get the on-screen buttons working.

I’ll have to find out how to send logs.

I replaced the Schiit Modius DAC with the original Topping D30 Pro which solved the problem of rapidly scrolling through songs. Audio playback is normal now.

The touchscreen issue resolved when I took the Display/RPi apart to discover that a flat orange cable had become disconnected. I reattached it.

Everything is working. Thanks for your help!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.