Connection methods to ROCK filesystem other than SMB

While setting up ROCK is quite straightforward, I struggled getting my Win10 client to connect to the SMB share on ROCK to install the ffmpeg codec pack.

Reason is twofold - recent Windows versions don’t include smb1 as standard, and a Windows policy prevents users connecing to shares without authentication.

Will the Roon team consider alternative means to expose the ROCK filesystem? It already has an SSH running — would that be an option?

Sounds like what it really needs is an updated Samba config to make it not fail unless SMB1 is used. (I don’t run ROCK, myself, so can’t confirm their Samba config. I run my Roon Core on a CentOS 7 system so I can manage the OS myself.)

1 Like

I agree it needs updating, I guess it offers more wider support but is causing windows users a lot of grief.

This is how I sorted my machine as my Windows machine would not connect to an unauthenticated SMB share on the ROCK without this change

1 Like

All you need to do is enable SMB1. However, given that you are using a company laptop and can’t manage the computer settings, then one solution would be to change out ROCK. Load Ubuntu and then RoonServer instead of running ROCK, or, load Windows 10 and RoonServer.

Given that ROCK is working as expected, I do not think this is a support question but really a Feature Request. I can move it to the other Category if you want.

1 Like

Thanks, and yes please. I can see how this would beling in feature requests rather than support :slight_smile:

Thanks. Have tried everything spent hours trying to work out. Worked first pop. Cheers

1 Like

I don’t run ROCK anymore to test but one could try SCP which uses SSH.

Secure Copy Protocol.

WinSCP is a ‘popular’ client. I doubt many people outside of Unix/Linux land use SCP much anymore but it just might work.

No reason to not run SMB1 on your local, private lan. We still run it on our corporate network for legacy support of devices that don’t support and, never will, newer.

ROCK is effectively a locked down appliance and users have no ssh access so this won’t work with a ROCK installation but would work for a standard Linux install a user made themselves.

2 Likes