Connectivity issues between Roon and Hegel H190

Roon Server Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I am having trouble with communication between Roon and my Hegel amp. My iPad won’t connect to my Roon server until after I start playing music from my Mac mini which is the ‘core’ I also find the Hegel remote doesn’t sync to Roon for volume and playback. Same issue with volume changes in roon not syncing to the Hegel. I notice in my audio devices listed in Roon, the Hegel is now listed as “Roon tested” used to be “Roon ready” all of this worked just fine 48 hours ago. Any idea how I might have messed this up and how to fix it?

Thanks for your help!

Hi there,

To receive appropriate help, it would be really helpful if you could complete the template provided below.

You can copy and paste it into your reply.

Please be sure to include details of your server, network, storage location of your media files, and any messages displayed by Roon.

Including these details in your first post helps resolve your issues faster.

Thank you.

Roon Server Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM).

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your networking gear (model of routers/switches/etc), connection types (Wifi/Ethernet), and any firewalls, antivirus, or VPN software.

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”.

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

My Roon core is a Mac mini with the M1 chip. I’m attempting to use Roon with a 7th generation iPad, iOS 17.1.2 via airplay, directly to the hegel. I think I have about 6k tracks in my library, plus a bunch I’ve pulled in from Qobuz. Everything is on the same Wi-Fi network. As I mentioned in the previous post, everything worked OK until a few days ago (save for the usual ‘Roon is really buggy’ stuff. Just want to get Roon on the iPad properly synced to the Hegel again. Thank you for your help.

Wouldn’t you want to fix the Roon Ready issue? The Hegel is Roon Ready after all

Yes! Sounds great! How do I do that?! I really just wanna get things working the way they did before where things were synced properly. Any specific advice from this community on how to do that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Did you reboot everything on the network starting with the router, the Mac Mini, the Hegel, and the iPad?

Yes, restarted everything. Still not properly syncing between Roon and the Hegel. Plays music but can’t control volume or stop/start from the roon app. Is there a way to reinstall the Hegel as an audio output?

There is no reinstall of the output, Roon Ready devices are discovered over the network and negotiate what needs to be done.

That’s also why the issue may be in the network.

I have no idea, I guess you have to wait until you reach the head of Roon support‘s queue. In the meantime you could also try Hegel‘s support for ideas

Hey @James_Lambrou,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and thank you @Suedkiez for the additional thoughts and troubleshooting ideas so far!

James, could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time and name of the track playing when the issue occurs?

Once you let me know this info, I’ll go ahead and enable diagnostics for your account so I can review the logging for clues.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Benjamin,

The issue is happening now. It’s 5.15pm CT (US) and I’m listening to Three Drums by Four Tet. This is an issue all the time, not intermittent, so if you’re looking at logs you could look at anything I’ve played over the past two weeks. Thanks for checking into this!

James

Hey @James_Lambrou,

If you haven’t yet, could you please first test out using a different ethernet cable to connect your H190 to your network?

I would also perform a factory reset on the Hegel. Let me know if your issues persist after the above. :pray:

Thanks Benjamin, tried this. Even after the factory reset on the Hegel, it still appeared as an audio source in Roon as “Roon tested” rather than “Roon ready” and the same lack of synching between Roon and the Hegel persists unfortunately. Any other ideas? I tried resetting the cache in Roon, no luck. Is there a way to ‘forget’ and rede text then reinstall all audio destinations in Roon?

Thanks,

James

Hey @James_Lambrou,

Yes, we can test out refreshing your Roon database as a next step:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon Server” and “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon Server” folder to “RoonServer_old” and “Roon” to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Thanks, I refreshed the Roon database. Good news is the Hegel is now recognized as ‘Roon ready’ again. Bad news is none of the functionality I once had is there. And the iPad can’t connect to the Roon database unless I wake it from sleep (never used to be like that). Any other ideas? The current situation is pretty untenable. Thank you.

@James_Lambrou, is it possible to connect your mini via an Ethernet cable to your network? You mention WiFi in your network, but it’s not clear if your mini is connected via WiFi or Ethernet cable. Connecting it via cable, even temporarily, can assist in eliminating if there is a network connection issue.

Also, can you explaing:

What is missing?

Same issues as when I started the request - volume and stop/start doesn’t sync between the roon app and the hegel. Used to be that when I’d do those things on either the hegel remote or the roon app it would sync with the other. I also find that I can’t connect to my roon core unless I start from my mac mini (which is my roon core) then start using the app on my iPad

Can you explain this in more detail? Do you shutdown Roon Server or your mini when not in use?

Hi @James_Lambrou ,

Are you still having issues with your Hegel or has the issue been resolved? If you are still having issues you may want to try to perform a factory reset on the Hegel. As per the H190 manual "

Reset to Factory Default Settings
By pressing and holding the DAC+(4) button
while pressing MUTE(14), the amplifier will
be reset to factory settings. This can also be
done from the device menu