Connectivity Issues with iPhone Roon Remote (ref#TQK3KF)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Networking

Description of Issue

I’m experiencing some connectivity issues with my iPhone Roon Remote. It’s losing its connection to the server (my MacBook Pro). Everything is on the same network: my Bluesound Node (endpoint) is hard-wired to the router, whereas the server and remote are connected over Wi-Fi. Note that when the remote loses its connection to the server, the server continues to play music though the Node and the Roon UI on the same MacBook Pro continues to function correctly.

Roon Server Platform

macOS

Roon Server Specifications

Apple MacBook Pro (Mid 2015), 16GB RAM, running macOS Monterey (12.7.2). No connected drives.

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node connected via ethernet cable to router. Node connected via phono cables to Marantz PM6007 integrated amplifier.

Home Network Details

The Roon Server is connected via Wi-Fi to an Asus AC2900 Dual Band Gigabit Router.

Screenshot

Is it possible to connect your MacBook Pro Roon Server via an Ethernet cable, even temporarily, to your router, to help isolate whether this could be a WiFi or other type of network issue? Do you have your SSID shared between your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands on the router, or are they separate? If shared, you may want to separate them and force Roon to use the 5 GHz band which has more bandwidth to support the Roon ecosystem; the 2.4 GHz band, while it can tavel farther, is very crowded, susceptible to interference, and has lower capacity than the 5 GHz band.

1 Like

Thank you @Robert_F. Sorry to have taken so long to respond. Opportunities to retreat to my ‘cave’ have been few and far between over the past few days! After connecting the server via an Ethernet cable, the frequency of connections failures decreased to the point where the remote could be considered usable. Still seeing “Waiting for your Roon Server” from time to time, and occasionally “Uh oh, something’s not right”, but both disappear within a few seconds. Does this tell us whether I have a “WiFi or other type of network issue?” Anyway, this is sufficient for me to continue with a paid subscription when my free trial expires.

In the longer term, I’ll be hoping to further reduce the number of connection failures, or even to eliminate them altogether. I have ‘inherited’ the router; I’m assuming I’ll need a password before I can poke around in its settings. The router has 2 SSIDs. I don’t know which bands they operate on. Ultimately, I’m hoping to use ROCK for the server (connected via Ethernet) and a dedicated iPad for the remote. The iPad will remain in the same room as the router. From what you say, it sounds as though I should consider creating a new SSID (the router supports 6) that uses the 5 GHz band (lower reach, but higher bandwidth), for Roon use only. Am I on the right track?

@andrew_weaver, glad to see some stability is returning to your Roon system. I still occasionally have the same error messages to a hardwired Roon Server PC, but similar to what you see, it goes away in a few seconds, so nothing I am concerned about.

Regarding the WiFi and SSIDs, yes, separating the 5 GHz band from the 2.4 GHz band would be a first step, but without additional information about your home network and how your router is configured, can’t say much more about how to optimize it. But yes, this is a good first step. Depending on the age of the router, it may be time to purchase a new one if possible.

I will mark this as solved for now. Happy listening!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.