Considering Roon But I'm Confused? Please Help

Given your anxiety about all this, can you not just go to a dealer that sells this, and have them show you, with the idea this would be your default choice?

Hello David,

Welcome to the world of audiophiles. It’s a lot to digest in a few weeks, months, or even years.

I’ll try to simplify your dilemma of all the choices.

First, buy a lifetime subscription to Roon. It’s a one time fee for the use of the best music management software I’ve ever used. You won’t regret it.

Second, I noticed your main source of music is your CD collection. Run, don’t walk to the nearest supplier of oppo udp 203 or udp 205 disc players and buy one.

For the time, once you have these two items you’ll be able to hear your favorite music with an enjoyable interface and with the best fidelity available.

Down the road you can find HiRes sources of music you like and build from there.

Bill Harper

I use WiFi between my laptop and my photo printer. They are in different areas of the apartment and I have had no problems with connectivity. I don’t think I would need to do the mesh router thing unless I’m streaming high bit-rate music files?

No longer being made. The few units that are still out there are fetching premium prices.

Thank you, Slim for your considered reply. As far a speakers are concerned, I don’t need them to be the best there is. Just better than my Bose. I did like the Sonos Play 5’s when I heard them last week. I can see having a few of them around my apartment. They aren’t too large either.

Also, back in 2008, I ripped all of my CD’s to Apple Lossless, or AAC. I did not rip to MP3. I’m glad I kept all of my CD’s. : )

Question: If I got Sonos Play 5’s with Roon, would I have to switch back and forth between apps? Would I have to go into the Sonos app to control which speakers are to be played and then go into the Roon app to play my music? With the Sonos app, I could do everything all one interface which is what I prefer. Because Bluesound is Roon ready would I be able to do everything with Bluesound and Roon on one interface?

Samstores.com may still have some 203’s but they are closing soon also so it’s important to run. The 203 should be about 800 USD if you can get one.

You just use Roon with Bluesound apart from initial set up. You really should give them a proper demo, as they are 24/192 and MQA capable.
You can link BluOS zones etc easily. The units themselves have a small footprint similar to Sonus.
I use a Pulse 2 and a Pulse Mini.
You can set them in stereo pairs if you wish.

Speakers are the most important part of your system. In this world, expect to get what you pay for.

I’m not familiar with Sonos, so I can’t address specific questions, other than to say all music is controlled thru Roon…

You understand that you will need a computer to host the Roon core, right?

I just checked and they have the 203 for less than 700 USD. Better run!

Hi William, thank you for your help. Why should I get the OPPO 203? It seems most people use it for Blu-Ray DVD’s which I don’t watch. But I will definitely heed your advice. I just need to know why you recommend the OPPO. I can use this with Roon? Also, I still would need a multi-room speaker set-up.

Why should I get an OPPO 203? It would be nice to have a good CD player.

I was hoping I could use my iPad to host Roon? I don’t use my iPad for much of anything else so I would dedicate it just for Roon and music. Slim, why did William recommend me getting an OPPO 203? I don’t want to miss out on it but I am wondering why.

Everyone, if I used Sonos speakers instead of Bluesound would I have to switch between the Sonos app and the Roon app? Since Bluesound is Roon ready, wouldn’t this speaker system be preferable?

No, you need at least an i3 computer or a Mac Mini (I don’t recommend the Mac) to run Roon core. An endpoint can be as simple as a Raspberry Pi or a similar SBC, or even your iPad. You can control Roon from an Apple or Android phone or tablet.

You won’t miss out. The 203 is mostly for DVDs. I guess it’s just @William_Harper 's favorite device. My opinion, if you don’t watch Blu-Rays although it can be an endpoint it’s mostly inappropriate for Roon, as there are cheaper options.

I think Bluesound would be preferable in every way. They are Roon endpoints and thus can be linked to other Roon endpoints if you wish in the future, unlike Sonus, Meridian etc.
They will sound better as the are 24/192 and MQA capable. They do cost more but in the long term you probably won’t want or need to upgrade. They just seem more future proof to me, and with a 6 year warranty…

1 Like

It’s the best disc player of any sort and it has the best DAC. Getting multi room systems set-up can be handled in many ways but your music library is CD’s. The oppo is also Roon ready as a network player. That provides a lot of flexibility when you start building any multiple room system. Because Roon can “see” all your networked devices. Using your MacBook, Roon, oppo udp 203, and a sonos networked speaker system would be a great system that won’t break the bank.

Bill

He doesn’t want to play Blu-Rays and there are plenty of better DACs, especially with a $5000 budget.

This doesn’t make any sense. Either he’s going to listen to CDs or he’s going to have a multi room system with Roon, but not both. You can’t use Roon with a CD player and if you could there are cheaper options that are just as good.

The OPPOs are great devices (too bad they stopped making them) but they don’t fit this use case.

I use my udp 203 as a Roon endpoint and it sounds fabulous. His macBook will work as a Roon Source for the time being. Good multi-room set-ups are going to eat a lot of a 5000 USD budget buying speakers and networking hardware… I hardly ever use the oppo to play discs…but when I do…they’re DSD’s.

Yes, that’s partly my point.
We must agree to disagree on this. :sunglasses:

I love simplicity. Thanks to you, I have the OPPO 203 in my Shopping Cart. I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Aren’t I missing something in this chain? Wouldn’t I need the Roon Nucleus also? If I could just have the OPPO, the Nucleus, and Sonos or Bluesound speakers, would I need anything else? Would I also have to put SSD’s inside the Nucleus to rip my CD’s?

Still, whether to go Sonos or Bluesound for speakers is a topic I need more info on. I have read reviews where listeners, in a blind test, preferred Sonos Play 5’s sound to the Bluesound Pulse 2, even though Bluesound has higher resolution.

Has anyone used Roon with Sonos? Do you have to switch apps to run both of them or can everything that’s needed be accessed from the Roon app?