Considering Roon But I'm Confused? Please Help

I just checked. Only the Bluesound Pulse 2’s are RAAT. This seems odd. I can not use the Pulse SoundBar for my television?

Does this make the Pulse 2’s the ONLY RAAT speaker that can be used with Roon?
22%20PM

I have not tried this.

I play a TV through my Bluesound Pulse 2 using optical output from TV.
The Bluesound is set to detect a signal on the optical input and automatically select this as a source.
So, I watch TV and DVD like this. Haven’t tried a CD.
I can over ride this with Roon and I do during add breaks. Plenty of time to get a song played.
This all syncs perfectly with my Pulse Mini in the kitchen if I choose to.
If I sync both zones in BluOS the TV plays in the kitchen as well and it all shows up as a single zone in Roon.
I can also choose to sync both zones in Roon or play Radio in one zone via BluOS using pre sets and Roon or TV on the other. It’s all very flexible.

And in BluOS

As far as I now all Bluesound products are Roon Ready. Others use them on hear can testify for this. It also states this on Roons website. To be Roon ready means it uses RAAT.

End points that use RAAT are optimised for Roon and use it as it was designed. Sonos endpoints a reverse engineered to use Sonos streaming protocol, Squeezebox devices (no longer in production) had the same done to allow Roon to stream to them. They have limitations on what you can do but will work. Any product that supports Airplay can also be used as Room will stream and see any airplay receiver again with caveats.

It’s really up to you to decide which suits your needs best.
As for the server if you dont want the hassle of a computer and want to make ripping easy and with no effort then the Sonic Transporter or similar product will be great but again you need to decide what’s more important to you. One advantage of the ST is you can use it for something else other than Room if you decide it does not float you boat or it goes away ( hopefully not the latter). If you have a nucleus your in a one trick pony situation that’s quite expensive as paperweight.

Oppo udp 203 has optical out so you would just need a mini to standard spdif converter. If you wanted to feed CD to other zones then you can feed it into one unit and stream it to the others with Bluesound own app no Roon But this seems point less why have two Roon endpoints in one room. But you can do.this with a cd player at a lot less cost and you don’t need it’s Roon ready if you already have a Bluesound unit.

I doubt you can broadcast wirelessly with your 203. The wireless connection is to receive, not to broadcast data. If you want to be sure, call Oppo Digital via the phone. They answer tech questions over the phone.

1 Like

O.K. I just got off the phone with Andrew at SmallGreenComputers. He’s a very nice guy and was patient with my concerns. A major red flag for me was what he said about the OPPO UPD-203:

“You can not use the OPPO UPD-203 to stream wirelessly to your speakers.”

Uugh! Why not? It’s Roon ready and has wireless ethernet. What use is a CD player if it can only be used as a Roon endpoint? Why is it an endpoint to begin with? How does it benefit from receiving a signal from a Roon Core device?

Does anyone know how I can play a CD in the OPPO UPD-203 and stream wirelessly to all of my speakers?

William Harper? I’m blaming this one on you! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Easy, optical into Bluesound and then link Bluesound zones.

1 Like

Are you sure that the OPPO and the Bluesound have the correct Optical in/outputs to wirelessly stream to other speakers? Andrew said it was impossible.

The Bluesound uses a standard Mini SPDIF connection that can accept either analog or optical digital.
I use this for my TV sound. DVD is routed through the TV. I do not know if CD from the Oppo would be routed similarly.
I can link my Bluesound units to share this sound.

The Oppo player has optical our so could feed into a Bluesound unit. But why bother. You don’t need the Oppo if you have a Bluesound endpoint just get a cd player and use that instead into the Bluesound. Why have two Roon endpoints in one room your over complicating things. The Oppo is only of use if you don’t already have an endpoint in that location and have some other form of amplification. Also you need to understand, that plugging the cd into bluesound will only work in bluesound own app. Roon can’t see it or zone it.

Thank you, Chris for your reply. Based on these images, what advantage does a RAAT device have over a Roon Ready device? According to Roon only the Pulse 2 is RAAT.

My Pulse 2 and Pulse Mini are both RAAT Roon ready endpoints.

Brother, I tried to tell you that.

IMHO, you need to take a breath, temporarily get out of this forum, and read a little about how Roon works before you get more tangled in your shorts. :expressionless:

It isn’t as difficult as it seems from this thread.

4 Likes

Do you do this using the Roon app or the Bluesound app?

Anyone familiar with that 1U Roon Appliance at small green computers? It looks like it does all that @David_Hunter needs for $1000 less than the SonicTransporter?

Hi Edward, I just talked to Andrew today. He was very helpful. It looks like I’m going to get a Sonic Transporter with a 2TB SSD. Before I pull the trigger, however, I will call Andrew again tomorrow and ask him about the 1U and what the differences are.

Today I called OPPO. Tomorrow I will call Bluesound. I will keep the OPPO boxed up until I’m sure I can stream music to the rest of the house from it.

If you’re going down the Bluesound route (and there’s plenty to commend it), just be aware that not everyone has had success in keeping their Bluesound zones in sync with other RAAT devices via Roon. Syncing between Bluesound devices seems universally fine when first configured via the Bluesound app. So, if you’re a Bluesound household you’re fine, but it has the potential to be annoying if you expand to other devices later.

Several threads on the forum, I’d do a search - see for example The sync issue..how bad is it? . There’s also 2 much longer threads. The upshot is that Bluesound have not done a Roon-related firmware update for their devices since Jan 2017 and it is likely that this would resolve the issues.

I wouldn’t bet on that! A quick read of the Bluesound forum will reveal that Bluesound consider any Roon related issues to be caused by Roon itself, not Bluesound. To fix something you first need to admit you have a problem and there seems to be some denial going on at the Bluesound end. I haven’t visited that forum since January though so things may have changed since?

For optical digital I use BluOS to link units.