Consistent dropouts/hiccups on DSD

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Running Windows 10 on a custom desktop PC with AMD Ryzen 2600 CPU.
Roon 1.7 build 505 64-bit, just recently updated

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

On 100 mbps Wi-fi with an Asus RT-AC68U router.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Signal chain is USB out to Gustard U16, HDMI out to Holo Audo Spring I2S input

Description Of Issue

I’ve been upsampling Tidal to DSD256 with this setup for the past month or so. The only issue I’ve had is intermittent pops/clicks. Earlier this week, I updated to Roon 1.7. Now when I’m listening to Tidal with DSD upsampling, everything is steady for the first 4-5 minutes of playback. Afterwards, I start to get consistent dropouts/hiccups almost exactly every 2 seconds. They last very briefly, but they’re still very noticeable. No issues at all upsampling PCM rate. I’ve tried basic troubleshooting like restarting my equipment, changing USB inputs, cables, changing Roon settings. I can’t figure out why the playback would be fine for the first few minutes, and then start to develop issues.

Hello @Bernard_Wen,

Have you tried using the ASIO driver for the Gustard U16? Looking at various resources online, I can see a few reports that the ASIO driver exhibits less dropouts vs WASPAI playback:

https://www.head-fi.org/search/39092680/?q=dropouts&t=post&o=date&c[thread]=888947

We do not have the Gustard U16 in-house as a part of our Roon Tested program, so it is difficult for us to diagnose what is causing these dropouts. I just tested DSD upsampling with a different USB/I2S interface and did not experience any gaps in the audio playback.

-John

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.