Consolidating iTunes folders to new SSD

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac mini (2011), OS X High Sierra 10.13.6, Roon 1.6 installed and running for about 2 weeks

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

No network in place other than WiFi for iPad/iPhone Roon remote.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

My files are stored on a 2TB external hard drive, connected by FireWire to Mac mini. USB connection from Mac mini to Ayre Codex in preamp mode.

This configuration works great at present; no issues of any kind. (I’m learning all Roon will do…)

Description Of Issue

I want to replace my HDD with an external SSD because the HDD is several years old and I do not wish to tempt fate…(!)

I understand I will unmount the iTunes folders from Roon first (STOP watching these folders, right?)
Then I move the files to the new SSD.

Question 1: May I simply drag and drop all the iTunes folders to the new SSD?
Question 2: Would it be to my benefit to consolidate all the contents of the libraries/folders into one large folder?

Once the transfer to the new SSD is complete, I set Roon to watch the new folder/folders.

Is this correct? Is there anything that I’ve overlooked? I have read several posts and this seems to be the procedure.

My system is relatively simple and I’d like to keep it that way. Many thanks.

Hi @Douglas_Gordon,

You’ll want to follow this guide (<- Clickable link) for moving your files. Basically the steps are: Disable old storage folder, Quit Roon, Move Files, Edit the old path to the new path. I would definitely make a Roon Backup before starting this migration process as well. Do let me know how it goes!

– Noris

Also if your macmini has no ssd I would do that first. Maybe combine the data and os onto the one internal ssd as this will be a much better setup. As the mini is under roon minimum spec you should do all you can to improve its base install.

How do I do this? Will Roon find my new drive automatically?

And can I place all files into a single folder, rather than the multiple library folders I now have in iTunes?

Thanks very much.

Hi @Douglas_Gordon,

You can click the 3-dot drop down menu to edit the storage location:

When you connect the new drive, it should show up in the sidebar after clicking that edit button:

Are you replacing the internal HDD where your OSX system is installed or do you have two internal drives on your PC and just replacing the second one with the external SSD? I assume you are just replacing the external HDD where the music is stored but the OSX system drive is remaining the same, do correct me if I’m wrong here though.

Yes, you should be able to make this change, although I would start with a small sample of files just to make sure that your edits are transferred properly.

Roon identifies the files based on the file’ unique “fingerprint”, so while it should work just fine, I would start small, move a couple of albums to one flat folder, verify that the edits are present and then go through with the move after confirming edits are intact.

Please don’t forget to make a Roon database Backup before starting this process as well.

– Noris

Hi Noris-

Just a word to say thanks! The new SSD is running like it should, all the files have been moved from my previous HDD and Roon is purring away. Clean as can be.

Thanks very much.
Best regards,

Doug

1 Like

Glad to hear that @Douglas_Gordon!
Hope you enjoy that new SSD :slight_smile:

– Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.