Constant Core switching format issues / losing connection

Roon Core Machine

MacBook Pro, M1 Max, 64GB RAM, Ventura 13.2
Roon version 2.0 (build 1202)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

WiFi, no VPN, Linksys Velop WHW03.

Connected Audio Devices

Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 200M, UAD Apollo Twin|X, both direct connect via CoreAudio and USB-C to MacBook.

Number of Tracks in Library

3,000 local tracks + QoBuz + TiDAL

Description of Issue

Hi all… I have a wide variety of different formats in my library. Everything from DSD256 and FLAC 192/24 all the way down to MP3 320. My listening chain is mostly direct-attached storage, with occasional QoBuz through CoreAudio to my CAD DACMAGIC 200M.

Playing any playlist and mixing formats used to be perfectly smooth. Sometime in the last month or two, everything kinda went to hell. Almost every time I switch between audio formats, one of a few things will happen:

  1. The audio device will fail to initialize (see screengrab here…)

  2. The connection will drop to the DACMAGIC. (screengrab…)

  3. Or the most fun one… everything seems fine, but the audio is clearly playing at the wrong speed. It’s like a 96 file is playing at 44.1 speed, and is slowed down by half. This is happening right now as I’m listening, and Roon is reporting all is well. (screengrab of listening chain…)

This never used to happen. And I’ll be honest, no idea if this is because of a Roon update, or a MacOS update, or some combination. But it has removed my ability to listen to an actual playlist, because every track that is a different format… something like this happens.

This happens when going from local file → local file, or local file <-> QoBuz. It doesn’t seem to be related to a networking issue, as it never happens when going from files that are the same (i.e.: 96/24 to 96/24) - only when a new format is encountered.

When this happens, fyi, the front lights on the DACMAGIC indicate that a new format is seen, i.e.: front panel does switch from 96 to 192 (or whatever).




Since this is a recent development I suspect the cause is beyond my knowledge and I’m not sure this suggestion will help but have you tried experimenting with Resync Delay times?

I’ve seen this help when people experience noise when switching formats/resolutions.
Perhaps it will help here?

Thanks for the suggestion! Doesn’t seem like the DACMAGIC has that particular ability?

it is further down, it should be for you too (if this is the reason of you playback issues)

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 23.12.48

1 Like

Thanks for that! Tried that, and set the Resync Delay up to 4000ms, and still did not help.

Thing is - this is a new behavior. Different formats used to play smoothly one to the next. That leads me to believe it isn’t a fundamental limitation of the hardware. Something has changed in software, either in Roon or MacOS (or both) that has screwed this up.

I’m going to try outputting to the Mac speakers and my UAD device, and see if I can isolate the problem any further…


Hey @Traian_Boldea and @connor (from the original post) - that seems to have fixed it for now! A couple of additional bits of info, if it helps you guys at all for overall debugging:

  1. I had to do a full power-down and power back up. A simple restart didn’t do it.

  2. Before I did that, I did the following: I have the CAD and UAD hooked up simultaneously. The CAD is for music listening, and UAD is for Logic/RipX/etc. I tried turning off either one, so just one device was operating. No change.

  3. However, when directing Roon to System Audio and the embedded speakers on the Mac, the problem went away and was able to smoothly transition between all formats.

Thanks again! If this happens again, will do the sudo / power-cycle trick.


1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.