Constant Freezing

Roon Core Machine

Windows.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

The DAC I listen to everything on is a RME ADI-2 FS DAC, but this also occurred with a Schiit Bifrost 2

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Randomly, when clicking on an album, the entire program will freeze and needs to be forced closed and reopened to start responding again. I’ve tried waiting multiple minutes for it start responding on several occasions and it doesn’t help. This occurs while nothing is playing as well (such as in the log provided)

Here is a log of when it last froze: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1skcLGyWV4wsVqxKkcF3pmtCDIsS2B5t8/view?usp=sharing

Hi @MrEWhite, can you give us some information about the Core (and remote used, if not the Core)?

Is it always the same album or can it happen with any album?

I’m just running it on and listening to it on Windows, if that’s what you mean. I don’t have any other devices in my setup but my Windows machine.

I haven’t noticed a pattern in albums. It just happens at random whenever I click on an album.

Thanks for confirming, @MrEWhite. Can you please send Event Viewer logs from Windows?

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Upload the file here https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/3ancn627336cfd60346fe8b3d4b18a82d1c75/external

I just upgraded to Windows 11, so the logs only show three crashes over the past few days, but I still submitted them.

Any update on this?

Hey, any update on this? Just got another freeze.

No solution or any response to this still?

Froze again. Can someone please help me? I’ve had over a month with no response from any form of support pertaining to this issue.

I’d like to point out that this happens after a fresh install of Windows 11 Pro and, when it does freeze, the music continues to play. It seems to be a similar issue to this: Roon crashes on Windows 11 Pro

Hello @MrEWhite

We apologize for the delay in getting back to you regarding your freezing in Roon.

We’ve seen Windows updates cause issues with graphics drivers which results in this behavior. What is the GPU for your device?

Windows’ automatic driver updates can sometimes be a bit unreliable, and we’ve seen direct downloads from the manufacturer help in cases where Windows installations did not, so it’s worth a try if you haven’t gone that route.

Please follow these steps:

• quit Roon
  • reboot the Windows machine
    • Turn off your Roon Core
    • Unplug your Core for a few minutes
    • Plug the Core back in
    • Turn on the Core
  • uninstall your graphics drivers
  • navigate to the manufacturer’s website for your Graphics Card (for example, a popular one is NVIDIA) and download the graphics drivers directly from there
  • install the graphics drivers
  • relaunch Roon and check your audio devices page.

Please let us know if this helps. We’ll be watching for your reply and get back to you as soon as I can.

None of those troubleshooting steps helped.