Constantly stopping playback and crashing on iPhone XS

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Mac Mini core over WiFi.
iPhone XS.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Constantly stopping playback and crashing. Very annoying. Back to Apple Music again

You will need to add more detail for people to help you.

I would imagine having your core on wireless is the root cause of your problem. Try it wired and see if it improves. It’s really not recommended to run a server application like Roon on a wireless system unless you really have a very solid consistent wireless network as it’s pulling data and sending data out at the same time which eats bandwidth. WiFi has only limited bandwidth to share for all devices. Most issues like this are down to WiFi setups. Not saying it can’t work but you need to make sure your wireless is solid.

2 Likes

It’s worked reasonably well up until now. Pretty sure the WiFi doesn’t affect the App crashing

Ah the classic help desk response😉 nothing much more to it really. Open the app wait for the remote to connect which it doesn’t do very quickly if at all anymore. Then try the setup and if you’re lucky the app hasn’t crashed by now.

DSD and MQA struggled a little pausing or skipping occasionally. But nothing now just a crashing app with unreliable connection to the remote app

I’m not the help desk, just a bloke on the forum trying to help you. Tag @ support if you want help but they can’t help If you don’t ask

Hi @Chris_Speakman,

Is there any change in behavior if you try uninstalling the Roon app on your iPhone and re-install it from the App store?

Are you crashing on any particular screen such as the “Now Playing” or queue screen?

If the behavior is still the same following the Roon app reinstall, can you please let me know the exact local time + date of the next crash you observe and which page in Roon it occurred on?

It’s not super obvious where you’re supposed to ask! I know you’re not help desk thanks for reacting but answering a question with a question is the usual response from a help desk I didn’t really expect that here. I work in a help desk myself…

1 Like

Still crashing latest is from the queue screen about 5 minutes ago. 1300hrs 19 March 2020 The app actually drops into the background doesn’t completely crash. But it reconnects to the core better now

Just now from the now playing screen

I’ve tried that Again just now…
Will let you know

Is next thing turn it off and back in again?

No change just did it again 13:07hrs 19 March 2020 I’m in New Zealand queue screen and again at 13:13 from the now playing screen

Hi @Chris_Speakman,

Is this behavior still occurring on your end? I have enable diagnostics mode for your iPhone and what this action should do is automatically upload a log set to our servers, but unfortunately I’m not seeing any reports come through.

I was wondering if you could upload a short screen recording of the issue if it’s still occurring? You can upload the video to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com and post a link here.

It is much better now but still crashed from time to time. I should be sharing with developers… The issue these days is when streaming even with the core directly connected to the fiber modem. Anything like MQA will stop give the taking too long to load error and very annoyingly skip tracks sometimes several. It would be preferable if it just waited for the tiny buffer to catch up

Hi @Chris_Speakman,

Thanks for reaching out again! To proceed with troubleshooting this case, can I please request that you submit the info I asked for in my last message?

Thanks!