Continued dropouts, skipping songs after 10-20 seconds with the message "An audio file is loading slowly...."

I have no doubt this is a common issue but I have no idea where to start. I have continued dropouts, skipping songs after 10-20 seconds with the message “An audio file is loading slowly…” I have a desktop computer using Windows 10, and my music files are on an external hard drive connected to my computer. My computer is connected to the Peachtree DAC/Amp via USB.

Hey @Terence_Hayes@support can look into this for you and help figure out where things are going wrong.

Thanks!

How do we proceed with this. I have no idea how to access support or research matters. I don’t know how to restart the core if that would help.

Is it possible to actually talk to someone on the phone to help?

Hi @Terence_Hayes,

We do not offer phone support but we would be more than happy to assist you right here on the Community website.

When we resolve issues on Community, it ensures that our entire team has access to the discussion and can weigh in as needed. This means that not only can our support team contribute, but so can our QA team, developers, and senior staff.

We’re going to make sure we get this working for you but would it be possible to clarify your setup a bit on your issue using this thread?

Does your System Output zone work as expected?
Does this issue impact TIDAL/Qobuz content as well?

Thanks!

There is no issue with zones. I don’t use Tidal/Qobuz. I am not sure what else I can tell you about my setup.
Sometimes it works like it is supposed to and lately it has gotten to the point I can’t listen to music as it plays for a less than a minute then skips to the next song, and then it does that again and again.
I have a desktop computer using Windows 10, and my music files are on an external hard drive connected to my computer. My computer is connected to the Peachtree DAC/Amp via USB. I also have a second output/zone connected to my desktop via an ethernet cable that is connected to a PS Audio Bridge/Dac. I am to the point of needing another service unless I can get this to be reliable, and I would prefer to stay with Roon.

Hi @Terence_Hayes,

Thanks for the additional details!

I wonder if the Hard Drive read/write speed might be the cause of this issue. If you try copying a few tracks over to the Windows 10 local hard drive and try starting playback of those in Roon, do you notice the same issue occur?

Playing the music from my SSD internal hard drive for the desktop instead of the external hard drive seems to work. I was trying to keep from using up space on the internal drive.

I see posts referring to rebooting the core. What does that consist of? Is that the same as restarting the computer? Forgive me if that seems like a basic question.

Hi @Terence_Hayes,

Yes, a reboot is turning the computer off and then back on.

This would indicate that the audio data is not reaching Roon fast enough from the external hard drive. I would try moving the library to the internal drive or purchasing a faster hard drive that supports better read/write speeds (you could try using a USB 3.0 drive if your Windows PC has 3.0 USB capabilities.)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.