Control app can be run over Windows Remote Desktop, but it cannot be started from it

The control app can be run over Windows Remote Desktop, but it cannot be started from it.

If one uses remote desktop to connect from one windows computer to another and starts the Roon control app on the remote computer, a message is displayed that OpenGL 3.0 or higher is required.

If the remote computer is already running the Roon control app because it was started directly from the remote computer, and then one opens windows remote desktop to that remote computer, Roon continues working on the remote computer and displaying to the local computer through windows remote desktop without no problems.

Apparently Roon can work through windows desktop. Please remove the spurious message about OpenGL 3.0 being required and let Roon run!

Thanks,

• Eric

Thanks for your report, @ezman!

Can you confirm what GPU your machine is utilizing? In the past we have seen similar issues traced back to Nvidia GPUs, which may be what is occuring here.

Regards,
Dylan

Seems to be the same problem. My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 960, a generation or two newer than the Quadros mentioned in the other trouble ticket… The card supports OpenGL 4.4.

There’s this nugget from a stackoverflow post:

Nidia limits OpenGL over RDP to their professional grade GPUs, that’s why it doesn’t work with “consumer” GeForces.

Thanks,
– Eric

Hey, @dylan. Upon reviewing this, I think roonlabs can workaround this pretty easily if the desire is there.

The .net Framework contains this nugget, which is most likely supported by other windows frameworks. You can determine if the roon client is being invoked while running under Remote Desktop and skip the OpenGL 3.0 check if it is.

System.Windows.Forms.SystemInformation.TerminalServerSession property: Gets a value indicating whether the calling process is associated with a Terminal Services client session.

Terminal Services Client Session = RDP = Remote Desktop client. I’m using this in an app I wrote and it works as advertised.

Hi @ezman,

I just wanted to let you know that I’ve passed this along to the team.