Convolution - not working for USB but WORKING for Toslink/Optical

I have a very weird situation where the very same convolution filter (zip) file that I can use successfully on the Toslink/Optical interface (ropieee running Hifiberry Digi+ Pro) does not take for the USB interface.

Log snippet below. Anyone else experienced this?

I know the convolution filter works - Iā€™ve used it before! Seems to have come up when running new speakers (Kii Threeā€™s).

Aris

03/26 15:28:43 Trace: [dspengine] saved DSP config {"version":3,"items":[{"type":"convolution","enabled":true,"filter_filename":"2018-03-25-1-KiiThree-EBU-6.7db-mp.zip","filter_id":"058068abfe4c4180a4d9f5eab91c88b0.zip"}],"headroom_adjustment":{"type":"headroom_adjustment"},"sample_rate_conversion":{"type":"sample_rate_conversion"},"speaker_setup":{"type":"speaker_setup"},"is_enabled":false,"auto_apply":false}**
_03/26 15:28:44 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer bedlam @ 10.0.0.18:53899] connecting (attempt 5)_
_03/26 15:28:45 Warn: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] failed to connect No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.0.0.18:53899_
_03/26 15:28:45 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer bedlam @ 10.0.0.18:53899] client connection failed. Giving up_
03/26 15:28:45 Trace: [raat] [sood] Refreshing device list
03/26 15:28:46 Trace: [Kii Three USB] [Lossless, 16/44 ALAC => 16/44] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 3:07/3:33] Ī©ĻĪ± - Ī©ĻĪ± - Ī’Ī±ĻƒĪ¹Ī»Ī¹ĪŗĪ® Ī›Ī±Ī²ĪÆĪ½Ī±

Hi @Aris_Theocharides ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The feedback is appreciated!

Moving forward, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with a brief but accurate description of your current setup using this link as a guide. I want to have a clearer understanding of your Roon setup :+1:

Additionally, since noticing this behavior have you triedā€¦

• Testing with a different USB cable?
  • Testing with another DAC?
  • Reinstalling Ropieee?

-Eric

Apologies for the delay.

1. The behaviour is independent of USB cable.
  2. I havenā€™t been able yet to see if the behaviour is depended on DAC. Will do over the next week.
  3. Reinstalling Ropieee does not help.

I can confirm that this seems to be limited to the Ropieee software so I think Iā€™ll take it up with the maintainer. On default Debian/Raspberry it works fine.

Aris

Hi @Aris_Theocharides ---- Thank you for the follow up, itā€™s good to hear from you. Hope all has been well!

I wanted to touch base with you on your latest post to see if you have been able to test this behavior with another DAC. Additionally, I wanted to also check if Ropieee was able to offer any insight here, just curious as to what feedback you may have been given.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
-Eric

I upgraded to Ropieee 20180520-2 and this issue is no longer - convolution applied to USB now works on the Kii Three correctly.

Aris

PS: Update 2/6/18 - this isnā€™t really closed - the issue seems to occur when Roon Server is on Windows. With RoonServer on Linux or MacOS convolution via USB attached works fine.

Also - this isnā€™t a Ropieee issue, as it occurs with Raspbian.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.