Core is no longer visible in my network?

I cannot access Roon via any device with a mobile app as it cannot see the Core. Nothing changed. I have a NAS and a back end all hooked to Yamaha receiver via Ethernet. The NAS (SAGE is the name) can be seen in the network and that is the file for Roon. Roon works on my Core (PC) and seems to be configured correctly. I am missing a key step ?

Should I start over from Scratch ?

Sounds like your router wifi network is a different network segment. Try using FING and see what your mobile devices can see and what their IP addresses are compared to what your wired network devices see.

Thank you Paul. I am downloading FLING to my iPad now. My Squeezebox Touch can’t see the NAS as well, which I am checking too.

I can not get my mobile devices to see Roon/NAS. All the settings are correct. The network is healthy and the NAS shows up on the PC. I have reached the frustration point. I cannot contact someone to explain the situation. I read the steps as to how to contact @support but all the information is too much to comprehend. Is there a free version of a PC only ROON? I have transferred hundreds of CD’s to the NAS and listen to them via NAD DAC to system.

Also, I re downloaded Roon on my mobile devices with no sucess.

George

Hi George,

I think that maybe a step back and a bit of a take stock may be in order. To give you specific suggestions, we need specific information. Reading through your thread, I was confused on exactly how you have Roon setup, which Roon you were actually running, how your Yamaha receiver is attached, what successful setup you had actually achieved versus what was not working, etc

First, the machine specs (CPU, memory, hard drives) and OS ([7,8, or 10] and [home, pro or enterprise], [32 or 64 bit]) you are using for your Roon core?

Second, Which Roon do you have installed. There is RoonServer and Roon, 32 or 64 bit. Both will run the full Roon software, however, RoonServer will only run the server part, it does not have any graphical interface which requires a remote to be run. Roon, on the other hand, can be the server part with graphical interface or just a client to a RoonServer.
In fact, Roon can be a client to RoonServer on the very same machine!

Third, which depends on which version of Roon you installed, how did you set it up? I read this thread one way thinking that you installed RoonServer and since non of the wireless remotes connected you could not set it up, Roon does not set itself up so you got nothing. On the other hand, you mention in the first post you had it configured correctly, which to me means that you had Roon installed, it saw and imported your music and you played music out to your Yamaha?

Fourth, How is your network setup, including your wireless? This will help with investigating the wireless connection issues. Keep in mind that even though your Ipad and touch are both wireless, squeezeboxes have extra setup steps and might actually be a different issue than your Ipad; And getting them working should be discussed independently.

Fifth, how is the Yamaha getting the Roon audio stream? Via the Squeezebox Touch? It can’t directly over Ethernet.

===========================

I know it is a lot, but, us fellow forum readers are here to help. Roon is really worth the potential setup aggravation. That being said, before you respond, I’ll make a couple of quick suggestions:

1. Assuming, you installed RoonServer and have never gotten it correctly setup, then just install Roon (of the same 32 or 64 bit flavor) on the Core PC. When you start Roon at that point you should be asked if you want to connect to a Roon Server, say yes and then go to settings and start making settings (see 2 and 3 also).

2. Assuming, you installed Roon and got to settings and it is seeing your music. If you installed Roon and not RoonServer, then you might check in settings to verify that you are allowing remote connections. Roon does not default automatically to allowing remotes to connect to it, RoonServer does though.

3. Assuming, #2 helped with the Ipad, setting up the Squeezebox means, first turning on Squeezebox support in Roon, second, make sure the previous LMS server is OFF, and then at the squeezebox level entering in the IP address of the Roon Core machine. If that all goes then it should display a nice “ROON” and in Roon you should then be able to select it as a network output.

I think we can get you sorted.

1 Like

Thank you kindly and you are correct, it is a lot to digest. First may I clarify, “Fifth, how is the Yamaha getting the Roon audio stream? Via the Squeezebox Touch? It can’t directly over Ethernet.”

The Yamaha uses Ethernet from the NAS, not Airplay. It has a digital in for audio from the backend unit…(I will get name, it was recommended in the community as I could not get beyond 16 bit without the above setup.)

Hi @George_Burrows ----- Thank you for the feedback and my apologies for the troubles. For us to accurately access this issue may I kindly ask you to please provide brief but accurate descriptions of the following:

1. Your current setup as seen here.

2. Your network configuration/topology, as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing (routers, switches, repeaters, extenders, etc).

The more detailed you can be, the better :sunglasses:

-Eric

1 Like

I have my money on the fact that the wifi is a different network segment (address range) which is why I suggested FING to list out the devices you can see from the wifi connection, if you don’t see the NAS/ Roon Core machine and Yamaha on the LAN wired connections then that is the issue.

Do detail your router make and model too…that will perhaps be a good indicator of the wifi configuration.

1 Like

I am not sure how to fix this concerning wifi? I have tried and Roon can not find the NAS. Not sure what to do anymore.
Getting frustrated. I have it on my PC but I need the remote to use the main system? Thank you. George

Hi @George_Burrows ----- It’s good to hear from you. My apologies for the frustration here.

I am certain we can help you troubleshoot this issue but we need to understand your setup and how all of your devices are communicating first. Without physically being in front of your equipment this is the only way for us to accurately evaluate what may be causing this behavior to occur.

Before we start looking into the IP addresses assigned to your various devices, may I kindly ask you to please provide the following information:

1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here. The more information you can provide, the better :+1:

2. Please describe your network configuration / topology, as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating and what tools are being used to make those connections.

-Eric