Core not online apparently, but I disagree :-)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Bodhi Linux 5.1.0 standard release
Intel Q8300 quad core 2.5Ghz
6Gb memory
500Gb spinning HD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
5.4 wifi generic, some Broadcom most likely

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Cedar HDMI audio

Description Of Issue
I’m in my trial of Roon. Yesterday I installed the Core on a linux machine and had great fun using Roon.
Performance was fine. Memory, CPU cores and disk I/O were having an easy time handling Roon.
Shut down the Core before going to bed.

Since starting the Core back up this morning I am getting this on both my iPhone Roon app (worked fine yesterday) and MacOS app (worked fine yesterday). Core is selectable and ‘green’ so running. The Core has internet connectivity just fine. Firewall has been disabled without any success unfortunately.
(I can access my account on the website so the credentials are working just fine)

Not sure how to proceed now. I want to keep using Roon of course but I am not really happy that a simple reboot of the Core machine breaks something. Please help, I want to love Roon :slight_smile:

Did the obvious but not preferable thing: reinstalled Roon. The good: it remembers settings and my Qobuz login and such. The bad: that I had to resort to reinstalling. Hopefully this was a one-time event. :smile:

I’m glad that things are working for you now, @M_Polak. If you see any issues return please let us know and we’ll be happy to help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Bodhi Linux 5.1.0 standard release
Intel Q8300 quad core 2.5Ghz
6Gb memory
120Gb SSD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
100Mbit ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
all devices
(RPi4+hifiberry & MacOS client)

Description Of Issue
I had this issue before:

and back then a reinstallation of the RoonCore did the trick. Reboot of the RoonCore doesn’t help either. The endpoints do see the RoonCore (green light) but they won’t start. See screenshot.
So, now I am Roonless once more. Please help.

By now the HD is replaced by an SSD and the wifi is now a wire. CPU, disk and mem subsystems are having it easy. I cannot fathom why this situation occurs.

It just came to life. Not sure why though. I’ll keep an eye on this… if nothing happens for 3 days the case will get closed again I assume :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, it was automatically closed before because a “solution” had been posted. It’ll stay open now until you and Roon are satisfied it can be closed.

2 Likes

Hi @M_Polak,

That screen typically means that your Core could not login to your Roon account properly.

If the issue re-occurs, I would check the DNS servers on your router and try to use Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS.

You might also want to look into using a consumer-grade router like Netgear/TP-Link/ASUS/etc. instead of a generic router for better performance, our Networking Best Practices Guide also provides some great suggestions.

I might have narrowed it down to a networking problem as expected. I’ll let you know the outcome in a day or two when I replaced a switch.
As a general remark I don’t understand why Roon would need a particular DNS. Google DNS is a big no go for many (it is for me). In fact, most folks I know use OpenDNS servers out of principle. What does Roon do that those three DNS servers should work and others wouldn’t?

1 Like

Hi @M_Polak,

Sounds great, let us know how this change goes!

It’s not that you need to use one DNS in particular, it’s just that we have seen many ISP-provided DNS servers fail to be constantly reliable, so we suggest using a non-ISP one. You are certainly free to choose another one that is known to have good stability.

Today I shut down the server gracefully and moved it to another place. Again, the thing was not responding and all remote devices were handing out “Are you online? Your account needs to be quickly confirmed…” etc.
After half an hour or so the error was gone.

I now dare say the error message is not telling what the actual problem is. The machine is online. Roon is running (I can see the RoonAppliance running on the server). I think the Roon server is indexing or running some other background process. Is this a case of not handling a non-exception properly or actual exception handling not showing the exception? E.g. “Server busy getting things ready. This can take some time. Please stand by” would be a better notification I think.
Case can be closed now but I would improve on the message.

1 Like

Hi @M_Polak,

Hope you’ve been well! I wanted to check in with the QA team on this before closing the case, as it’s very atypical to see the “are you online” message, especially since there have not been many reports of such an issue recently.

QA believes this issue could be related to the Linux distribution you are running, if you want to look into this further down the line, we suggest also accessingthe Roon logs by using these instructions to see if there are any network errors, it’s possible that your Linux distribution’s network is still starting in that 30 min window.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.