Corrupt Files - Way too many but reported files play via Sqz Server and Windows Media just fine

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Qnap TVS-871 with latest Roon core build. Files are also all on the NAS. NAS is 16GB/4 physical/8 virtualized cores. Storage is approximately 70TB.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired ethernet via Netgear kit. Wireless uses Cisco 1830 series AP’s.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Squeeze box Radio/Boom. NAS reports several HDMI devices which are not used. Desktop audio via my Alienware R10 system provides both headset and direct speaker support into my home stereo system. All wired currently.

Description Of Issue
I am a new user with Roon. I installed the Core on my NAS, pointed the storage folder to the local share, and edited the configuration of the Core prior to doing the initial scan. I prefer my local files for Genre, Title, Album Artist and Composition. I initially selected Artwork as Best but had terrible results so I switched to Prefer Roon (more on this in another topic).

Following the scan, I checked the skipped files list and had some 2900 files reported as being corrupt. I went though my library to check on file sizes and none of the failed files are undersized. I then did a random sampling of the supposed corrupt files ( about 150 or so) and they all played just find using Windows Media or via my SqueezeBox devices attached at that time to Squeeze Server via a separate system.

The corruption issue report fails to detail why the files are being skipped. Many of the files are entire albums. I tried rescanning the library, albums, etc. Not of the functions under Edit made any difference.

I have the list in Excel; however, I do not us any shared service other than OneDrive. If you can provide an email that OneDrive will accept, I’ll be glad to share this one file with you.

Bob

Hi @robert_merritt,

When I adopted Roon it reported a few of my audio files as corrupt, yet like yours they did still play in other apps.

What I did was to transcode the file using dBpowerAmp (in my case it was FLAC to FLAC) after I did that Roon was happy … so I suspect there was something malformed and not 100% conforming to the FLAC standard in the original files.

Same here. I got corruption reports from Roon on quite a few tracks. checking them out with Audio Files Health Check, they were all perfectly fine.

On the other hand, Roon did not report three tracks that truly were corrupt and only contained pink noise…

I would not rely on these reports.

Don’t know if WMA files are reported as corrupt or are simply not found, but if your files are in WMA format, there’s this -

Thanks for the response. I used Audials Music 2020 to convert one of the failing albums. MP3 to MP3 did not fix the issue. I retired with a MP3 to FLAC conversion. Other than the .FLAC files being much larger than the corresponding MP3, Roon recognized the FLAC conversion.

What I am not sure of is if Roon rescanned the converted .MP3 file. The date changed, but I can’t confirm if the album was rescanned or simply skipped. The skipped file report includes the new date. It would be nice to have a log created that indicates the reason for skipping a file.

thanks again.

Bob

Hi. thanks for the response. The fact that none of the skipped files appear in the Roon database indicates that something is wrong somewhere. The report may not be totally accurate as I have not verified all 2900+ skipped files.

Bob

Thanks for the input. My error in not indicating that my collection is all .MP3, to date. As an aside, I use tag and rename to update the metadata, standardize on my genre settings, add artwork that might be missing, especially with ripped CDs., and for classical, I reset Artist, per track, to the composer and put any artist information into comments. For classical, I don’t care so much about who performs the piece as much as what the piece is. I want classical names to be consistent for sorting hence the renaming, example SYM becomes Symphony and # becomes Number.

Bob

Hi @robert_merritt,

Can you please send in one or two sample files for which show this behavior?
I have sent you a link to our diagnostics servers via private message.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.