Could not create required database directories

My Roon stopped to work and popped up a message:

Fatal error:Could not create required database directories

What should I do to solve it?

Have you rebooted everything?

I rebooted everything and even uninstall and reinstall the Roon. But still failed to get Roon open.

I hope you’ve been taking library backups.

tagging @support.

Hi @James_Ling,

Welcome to the forum. What do you have your Roon Core running on? Please provide hardware details and operating system details of the Core so that we can better understand the issue.

Also, can you please use these instructions to access your Roon logs and send me a set via Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com?

Many thanks for help from Noris.
I uploaded the logs file to following address:

My hardware details:
Computer Model Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER Desktop Computer
Operating system Windows 10 64-bit (DirectX 12)

Processor Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 3.60GHz octa-core
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER-CF (Z390 chipset)
Graphics Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (8 GB / Gigabyte)
Memory 64 GB (Corsair DDR4 3600MHz)
Main hard drive Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB (500 GB / Solid State Drive)
Monitor LG GSM59F1 LG ULTRAWIDE (34.2 inches)
Optical drive ASUS BW-16D1HT Blu-ray burner
Sound Card Intel High Definition Audio Controller
Network card Intel Wireless-AC 9560

Your help will be appriciated very much.

Hi @James_Ling,

Thanks for sending the log over. I’ll double check with QA, but in the meantime, can you please confirm if you have Backups made of your existing database or if you don’t have anything you need to preserve in the old database? We could try performing a full reinstall of Roon to see if it will help.

Some more context on the issue would also be helpful here - how long was the system running as expected before this issue occurred (or is it a new setup)? What exactly changed - did you update Windows, install a new Antivirus, ect.

The system has been running for 3 months before this issue occurred. I didn’t update any system. I can run Ipad and Mac version of Roon Core all well without any problems now. I have backed up my roon.
The only change I made was I added a new hard disk to my pc and used it as A: and B: disk. But Tidal and Qobuz all run well on my system now.
Thanks for your help.

By the way, I install server on MAC. I used PC as client.
But client version and server version all can’t open and poped with same notification.
Thanks

Hi @James_Ling,

I would suggest you perform a full reinstall of Roon on the problematic PC:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” or “RoonServer” depending on your install type
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old” or “RoonServer” to “RoonServer_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon database folder
  • Verify if it works as expected
  • (Optional) Restore your Roon database from a backup

Thanks Noris
But not work after I did what you tell me.
regards

Hi @James_Ling,

Can you please upload a new log-set following the renaming of the old database? I wonder if the new set has further clues.

Noris,Thanks

Hi @James_Ling,

Thanks for attempting to send the log, but unfortunately it looks like the link expired over the weekend and I wasn’t able to download the log files, can you please re-upload?

What are you permissions set to for C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Roon\? Have you modified the permissions so that only certain users are able to access this directory? Are you logged in with the Administrator account?

Hi @James_Ling,

It looks like our spam filter accidentally flagged your post as spam. I have sent you a private message on where you can upload the files directly to our diagnostics servers, the link should be in your message inbox, with a green “1” in your notifications.

Thanks for your help.

I didn’t modify anything and logged in with administrator.
I even logged WIN10 by another user id and failed either.

Hi @James_Ling,

Thanks for sending those logs over, I can confirm receipt and I have forward them on to QA for closer inspection. Since you are using the old build of Roon, is there any change in behavior if you download the latest build from our Downloads Page and install that one instead?

No change after I installed with latest build.
regards

Hi @James_Ling,

I appreciate your patience here until I have had a chance to consult with the QA team regarding your case. We believe you are having the issues here due to a feature of Windows called FIPS mode, and due to this, Roon is not able to properly start any longer.

Can you please, first ensure you have the latest .NET version and then check your FIPS setting? This article provides instructions on how to access your FIPS setting (Microsoft themselves recommend that you disable this feature in case you accidentally have it enabled).

Great! FIPS did caused my problem. Now my roon finally back again on my PC.
Thanks very much for your help. You are genius!
regards

1 Like