Could someone explain DSP plugins to a newbie?

Hey guys,

Im new to Roon and have been loving it so far. It’s been a better experience than using audivarana by far. I’m relatively new to the Hifi game, so please excuse any really silly questions.

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what kind of potential “enhancements” to my audio experience DSP plugins could provide, as well as what kinds of DSP plugins you guys recommend.

I’m using an SP1000SS, which is considered good without anything extra. However, I’m always willing to try different things so if anyone could recommend and/or break down some DSP plugins for me it would be very appreciated.

Hi @Z1839

You can read more about the available DSP Filters in the official guide for the DSP Engine.

As a new user it’s always beneficial to check out Roon’s knowledge base.

As users tastes are different, there’s no way IMHO to recommend something here without further knowledge about your needs.

E.g.: Many users like Roon for its ability of ‘bit-perfect playback’ and therefore don’t let the DSP engine touch their precious audio signals at all. :smile:

Ah, thank you for the input. Perhaps I should clarify: Although recommendations for my setup (SP1000SS as DAC into macbook pro) would be appreciated, I was looking for more “community favorites”. Stuff that a lot of people tend to like.

I don’t consider these ‘plugins’, but the two DSP features I use often are Parametric EQ and Convolution.
Parametric EQ is an easy way to add/subtract volume in frequency ranges. My wife uses a Bluesound Pulse, and it benefits from a little bass boost. Advantage, really easy.

I use Convolution in my main listening room. It is a pretty complex way to correct for unresolved frequency imperfections. For example, I have one frequency domain where some bass needs to get filled in and another area where mid-bass needs to get removed. You can get a room with very nice frequency response. It makes a big difference for me.
There are more than a few downsides to this. First, the process is a bit involved compared to PEQ (above). With the best software (I use Acourate) it is so complicated you basically need another book to help you through it. You also need a microphone. And if you don’t do this right it can really mess up your sound.
As Blackjack points out, the Convolution filter process is manipulating bits via computer, so the ‘fidelity’ of the music is affected. In my case, the benefits greatly outweigh the downside.