Could we have Roon play nice with the Sonos mini player?

It would be super cool if Roon would work properly with the Sonos mini player (or get one of its own) :slight_smile:

A couple things…

1. You should probably put this in feature requests, things that are in software discussion won’t stand a chance of getting votes / will get lost; this really is a discussion section
  2. There’s a far broader discussion of Sonos / Roon integration. Right now there’s nothing bidirectional about the way Roon plays to Sonos - it just pushes a stream to the Sonos players, much as internet radio would. It’s not made up of “tracks” that the Sonos can see. That’s why there’s a gobbledegook name for the stream that stays the same, even if you totally change what you’re playing - Roon opens a connection and then pushes whatever it wants down until you stop, and then when you start again it’ll start a new stream. Having awareness of what’s playing would be great. But so would being able to use Sonos controls to hit fast forward or pause or whatever - and none of those things work either. It’s just one-direction. I kind of doubt you’d get any movement on this, because it’s how Roon works with every other type of endpoint - RAAT, chrome cast, etc. But I’m not Roon, so you never know. But I bet that this feature request would have to be more broadly articulated.
  3. The idea of a Roon mini-player is popular. Issue as I imagine it is that Roon is so fundamentally cross-platform, and the idea of a mini-player is so platform specific.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m all for it. But I wouldn’t hold out hope.

1 Like

Agreed, I’ve moved it over to #feedback:feature-suggestions.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, the Sonos mini player supports pausing and skipping to the next track for a Roon stream. But it does not support going back (no “previous” track).

Ok, you are instructing me! This wasn’t true a couple years ago, but clearly the integration is getting closer over time, so perhaps there is some hope.

1 Like