CPU goes bonkers on Mac-Mini

I’m wondering if there are user that have the same problem, i have a Mac-Mini server late 2012 with 16gb memory and a 2.3 GHz intel core i7.
The last few weeks my cpu goes bonkers with Roon, I get peaks of more then 125% of my cpu consumption on Roon, if all is normal it uses 40 to 45% of the cpu. My Mac then gets really hot and the fan blows like crazy. I know it has nothing to do with the latest update of Roon because I had the same problems with the previous version. Is this normal for Roon or is my cpu getting broken?

Moved to support.

Hello @Gerdy,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue, can you please provide some more information regarding your setup here?

• Where is your media stored?
  • Are you making use of a NAS?
  • What is your Background and On-Demand Audio Analysis speed set to?
  • Does setting both to Throttled or Off have any change?
  • Are you making use of any DSP functions?
  • If you are making use of DSP, is there any change in behavior if you disable it?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
Thanks for your reply.

• Media is stored on the same 1Tb HDD where my Roon core is, on my Mac-Mini.
  • I don’t use a NAS.
  • Background Audio Analysis is set on Throttled and On-Demand Audio Analysis is set to Fast.
  • If both are set to Throttled cpu use goes up to 60%, if both are set to Off it goes down and use 25% to 30% cpu.
  • I use Convolution, Parametric EQ and Headroom
  • If I turn DSP functions of it goes down to 20% of cpu use.

Overall it goes down on what you are suggesting, but then I don’t have the full use of Roon’s Functions and it has still some peaks of more than 100% of cpu use.
It especially goes up when it starts playing numbers of streaming services then it goes up to 180%

Hello @Gerdy,

Thanks for providing that information. Would you be able to send us that convolution filter to take a look? I will PM you instructions shortly on how to do so.

Also, just as a test, would you mind trying to see if you have the same CPU usage with headroom and parametric EQ turned on but convolution turned off?

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Gerdy,

Thanks for sending the convolution filter over, I have asked QA to take a look, although do be aware it may take a bit of time to reach their queue. I think we should start eliminating more variables because you noted that disabling convolution does not help with the issue.

If you temporarily disable your storage locations and run Roon with just a streaming service (TIDAL or Qobuz), does that have any change on CPU usage?

Thanks,
Noris

Hello Noris,

Thanks for your reply and your time for my problems.
At the moment I have no computer and can’t do tests anymore. I have made the decision to buy me a new Mac-mini with sdd drive and 3,2GHz 6-core i7 intel chip. I had too many problems with my old mac. I will get my new mac in the first week of february and let you know if the problems are solved with the high CPU use of Roon.

Best regards and thanks,
Gerdy

1 Like

Hello Gerdy
I will be very interested in your feedback about running Roon Core on a new 2018 Mac-mini with i7 and probably 16G ? of RAM and how Roon work and the CPU use
I still hesitate between a Nucleus and a i7 2018 Mac-mini (same price range) and I am therefore attentive to users feedback
Thks
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I will give feedback, the delivery of the new Mac will be between 15 and 19 february.
These are the specs. of the Mac mini

• 3,2‑GHz 6‑core Intel Core i7 van de 8e generatie (Turbo Boost tot 4,6 GHz)
  • 16 GB 2666‑MHz DDR4
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 128 GB SSD
  • Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE‑T Gigabit Ethernet via RJ‑45-connector)
    I will work with external 2TB hdd connected via Thunderbold-USB-c for music storage.

Thanks a lot Gerdy
Best specs for an optimized comparative for a Mac-mini
Rgds
Thomas

1 Like

Congrats!!

1 Like

Thanks Cantodea :wink:

I received my Mac mini 2018 and fully prepared it to use with Roon. As I promised, I give feedback on how Roon works on this Mac. First the specs of this Mac mini:

• 3.2 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7 of the 8th generation (Turbo Boost to 4.6 GHz)
  • 6 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 128 GB SSD
  • Gigabit Ethernet (10/100 / 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet via RJ-45 connector)
  • externally I use 2 hard disks from Lacie (Porsche Design) from 2TB connected via USB-C, 1 disk for my music storage and the other for Timemachine copies.

I had 2 external HDD copies with all the music that I had to transfer to the new Lacie disc, 750gb music was transferred in 4 hours time.
Once this was done, Roon scanned my files.
My Mac runs Roon without problems Roon uses a small 3% of the CPU and is stable, the CPU does not get any hotter than 32° celsius.
There is a downside to this Mac, regret that Apple has decided for a hard disk on the motherboard and that there is no possibility to mount an extra disk inside.
Network connections also go very smoothly and quickly.
I know that there are people for and against Apple products but for me everything is considered a good choice.
I bought my previous Mac mini server late 2012 six years back for about 1400 € and had 2TB of storage and an intel 4-core 2.3GHz i7, now I have paid 1570 € for a configuration as described above, it is up to you to decide what you want.

1 Like

Thanks Gerdy for your feedback
Sounds very interesting
It seems that Roon run on this updated Mac-Mini without any issue and still very stable
Concerning your HDD, they are connected through USB-C but using USB 3 (Gen 1 or 2) or Thunderbolt 3 format ?

I am hesitating between these updated MM models and a Roon Nucleus.
The price is globally the same but on one side you get a MM with a i7, 16G of RAM, 128 or 256+Gb of OS SDD, and USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 + 10G Ethernet in option compare to a fully dedicated NUC but with i3, 4Gb of Ram, 64Gb of OS SSD, Ethernet, USB-A and inactive (at least at this stage) Thunderbolt 3

Even so the 2 options are not totally comparative (the Nucleus is totally and fully dedicated to be a music server therefore with its advantages), I’m still doubtful taking into account the no price difference for not going with the MM option having a computer which could be used for others tasks without a strong effect on the stability of the Roon Core OS and at the end the SQ ?
It’s a discussion that has been probably shared previously but any comments/contributions on this topic ?

Thanks

Rgds

Thomas

@Gerdy hope you didn’t use time machine to reinstall from your old Mac.

I occasionally use a MacBook pro when traveling to have Roon available for streaming stuff and the odd disk attached. My old i7 2013 mbp was ok, but the new i9 2018 15” is in another league for Roon use.

The HDD are connected through USB-C using Thunderbold 3 format.
And as I said before, it is a choice that you can make alone, I have had this MM since last week and still have no problems, does not come warm and is also very quiet.

Regards
Gerdy

I never use Time Machine to reinstall from my old Mac, i have also backup copies that are made with Get Backup Pro.
I have never encountered problems with Time Machine so i don’t understand your worries about it?

Time machine and Roon don’t play well together…it’s in the KB’s and a frequently enough done thing that will mess up a Roon move.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_backup_my_Roon_database%3F

As I described above, I use an external HDD for my music storage for Roon. The Time Machine is only used to have a System Backup. I also have 3 HDDs of 2TB that are linked in my network and that store Backups of only my music.

@Gerdy I’m talking about using time machine to recover a Mac to a new Mac…Roon will not be the same, it’s has to do with all the database files etc. a clone is perhaps a better way but still the way to move Roon from machine to another is a fresh is]stall and a restore of a good database backup. This works cross platforms.