CPUs known to be able to do HQP non-2s poly-sinc-xtr from RedBook to DSD512

When I was asking you and @andybob for GPU usage screenshots 9 days ago it was for exactly the same thing as you, except for the poly-sinc filter for my i7-7700HQ (non 2s, non xtr). After you disable CUDA offloading, do a full system reboot. That got things back working for me. I went through the exact same last week. GPU usage was 0% (per our messages) but poly-sinc was working. Then going to the latest GeForce drivers made GPU active (yay) but made things worse (nay)

And I assume both of you have Multicore DSP set to Auto (grayed)?

I think I know what is going on, but do you both happen to have log file enabled? If you do, can you email it to me? It would help me figuring out how the Auto decided and tune it for next release. This is a bit unexpected behaviorā€¦

1 Like

I changed mine from grayed to ticked. Same with CUDA offloading when I tried that (I changed from grayed to ticked).

I donā€™t use the Windows version anymore but I can check this weekend if I have logs on Windows.

The most interesting thing on those traces is that Ethernet drops off too so it looks like your buffering is minimal.

For your case with quad-core it doesnā€™t actually make a difference, because both come to same conclusion. With CPUs more than 6 cores setting it to ticked would leave some of the cores unused.

After reading your comment again I think I misread it, you got back to the original performance and with your CPU what Iā€™m thinking about shouldnā€™t make a difference.

But Iā€™d like to see logs from @Sloop_John_B especially if he happens to have those from times before and after driver update.

1 Like

Cool, no problems. Means I donā€™t need to boot up Windowsā€¦ Iā€™m much happier running HQP Embedded and not having to deal with Windows :slight_smile:

Alas I havenā€™t logging enabled. Is it any use to turn it on now?

Probably contrary to all logic but I feel my dropout may be something to do with the Rendu. Iā€™ve reverted to a NUC with USB image NAA to see if it still occurs. Iā€™ll give it a few days. Weather great in Dublin so less indoor music listening.

.sjb

If I may ask Sean as you seem to have more experience in these areas than I.

Previous drivers are available on the website linked above, I presume I can roll back my driver by installing the one from January which is what I was working off prior to my update?

I could then with logging enabled run that for a day or so, upgrade again and run that for a day or so and then hopefully have some useful logs?

.sjb

Hi John, Iā€™m flattered. However I have about 6 weeks experience of HQP here, with 3 of them using HQPe over TeamViewer to help my old man. And in total, maybe a couple of days using HQP on Windows. (HQP Embedded is a much better daily experience).

The roll-back question is best for the Guru himself - letā€™s see what Jussi says @jussi_laako

At a hunch I canā€™t see an issue - on install of an older version you should be able to choose clean install (I had that option when I upgraded driver) but I dunno :disappointed_relieved:

If I were in your shoes, Iā€™d have a Guinness, before just giving it a crack

1 Like

@jussi_laako
Iā€™ve used the NUC for 4 days now with no issues and reverted back to UltraRendu and less than half way through an album and iā€™m getting warbling and then small dropouts.

It would appear that the NAA on the NUC and through the UltraRendu affect the core machine? Is this a NAA or UltraRendu issue @agillis ?

I think the sound is better from the UltraRendu but obviously canā€™t put up with dropouts and warbling like a tape being chewed.

.sjb

Do you have the latest updates installed on Rendu?

Yes and this issue has only been obvious since the update. Previously I had pops which the update cleared.

I uninstalled NAA from Rendu, updated sonic orbiter, reinstalled NAA but issue still persists.

Thanks @jussi_laako

.sjb

Have you tried the IPv4 option ? I vaguely recall seeing youā€™re using the IPv6 NAA option.

Just something to try? Maybe :worried:

Yeah, when I had both NAA running I switched to IP4 as I could recognise them by their IP.

Thanks for trying though!

.sjb

1 Like

Did you end up sending Jussi your logs? Showing NUC NAA working vs Rendu NAA not working?

That probably doesnā€™t help much, usually thereā€™s nothing at logs about these kind of issues.

But I was curious about logs regarding the poly-sinc-xtr working vs not working on i7 8700ā€¦

1 Like

Unfortunately I hadnā€™t got logging turned on at that time and after googling I have decided not to risk rolling back the Nvidia driver.

I know itā€™s needle in a haystack stuff but there is just one variable between working with all bar poly-sinc-xtr and dropouts and warbling and that is the NAA on ultrRendu vs NAA USB image running on NUC. All other parts in the chain are the same.is there any more information I can give you to help you get HQP working for me on the Rendu?

Or any more settings I can change?

Thanks,

.sjb

OK, then it is quite clear that this problem is related to NAA and not HQPlayer itself.

When it comes to the Nvidia driver stuff and change you got with the update, I know what the difference is. And I can make a new version of HQPlayer work the same as current one with old Nvidia driver but CUDA enabled (and not functional). Iā€™m just trying to decide under which configuration option I would make that available.

I just fail to see how the two of these would be relatedā€¦

What was the DAC in question?

I got a drop out before I updated the Nvidia driver.

Iā€™m using a Holo Audio Spring DAC. I use a Singxer SU also but the dropouts happen both direct to USB and iS2 via the Singxer.

I appreciate your help. My gut instinct is whatever you did to sort the popping had this inadvertent consequence? - However Iā€™m often wrong :smiley:

.sjb

@jussi_laako

Hi Jussi,
Iā€™m looking for some guidance as to whether you think you might know what is happening in my system and more importantly whether you can fix it?

As you mentioned above as the NAA on the ultraRendu is the only variable this must be the issue. Iā€™m pretty sure I can date it to the upgrade that stopped the pops and clicks. Is there anything I can do to help you hone in on the issue?

As with everyone who uses HQP, music is a very important part of my life and I need to know whether I should ditch the ultraRendu Rendu and work on optimising my NUC NAA or is it only a matter of time until you sort this and I just have to be patient?

Thanks,

John.

1 Like