Cracking Noise on Roon Endpoint running Ropieee

Try switching off device volume and use Roon’s volume control instead - does that fix it?

That fixes the sound cutting out when adjusting the volume but I’m still getting the crackly pop sound at the beginning of tracks.

You could try setting DSP to Max pcm rate.

Some DACs make a pop when changing sample rate.

Always upsamping to the same rate can prevent this.

I had to set the boss DAC’s max sample rate to 192kHz as I got no sound output when set to 384kHz.

Sample rate conversion results:

Max PCM rate with Device volume = noise at beginning of tracks still.

Max PCM rate with DSP volume = no noise at beginning of tracks when skipping but very 1st track played has noise at the beginning.

Perhaps experiment with Resync delay

Take a look here https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/audio-setup-basics

Most likely that’s caused by an output muting relay disengaging on play in combination with the DAC carrying a small DC offset - nothing you could do about that.
If it’s not loud to the point of deafening or destroying drivers, just a cosmetic problem.

@GregD unfortunately playing with Resync delay hasn’t helped.

@Marin_Weigel the noise on the very first track is subtle just a little annoying. But I am finding sound quality suffers when using DSP max PCM rate and DSP volume.

:man_shrugging:

If that’s what you believe, there’s nothing else I could suggest, other than reading following article from @DrCWO about his measurements regarding the transparency of Roon’s DSP volume control and making up your mind about real audibility…
:man_facepalming:

In the little listening testing I have done so far the sound went from being balanced/relaxed to being bright/edgy.

I’ll do some more thorough listening tests to see if I can narrow down what is causing the sound quality to suffer. Perhaps the sample rate conversion rather than the DSP volume. We’ll see.

Thanks for all the advice so far, it is much appreciated.

Have done extensive listening tests and can confirm the DSP Volume has little affect on sound quality. The sample rate conversion has quite an audible affect.

The Allo Boss DAC has been running non stop for a couple of days now and the affect the sample rate conversion has on the sound quality is acceptable, or more likely my ears have just got used to it.

So to sum up my issues:

1. Device volume, no sample rate conversion = pop crackle noise at beginning of tracks when sample rate changes.
  2. Device Volume, sample rate conversion set to 192kHZ = pop crackle noise at beginning of tracks when sample rate changes, but noise is much quieter.
  3. Adjusting device volume can cause sound output to stop briefly.
  4. DSP volume, no sample rate conversion = pop crackle noise at beginning of first track played and when sample rate changes.
  5. DSP volume, sample rate conversion set to 192kHz = pop crackle noise at beginning of first track played.

@spockfish Can anything be done to fix any of these issues?

I think someone else already suggested to play with the ‘resync delay’ variable.

And I would think that option 5 is then the best possible solution: make sure there are no sample rate changes anymore.

If that also doesn’t help there’s not much I can do: Allo is responsible for the driver in the kernel and as such I depend on them.

Thanks