Crackles with 24/192 kHz files with Mac mini 2018

If you have a spare Ethernet switch, it’s also worthwhile to try connecting the Roon Core and your device to the switch, instead of the Orbi. Roon KB says to “uncheck Disable IGMP Proxying”, if you have not done that already.

Alternatively, you could also try WiFi connection instead of Ethernet.

Excellent suggestion! Thought already about a straight Ethernet connection from my Mac mini to the Devialet. A switch is also very good! Do you have a suggestion for a good switch?

Thanks for the feedback!

Dear All,

looks like the problem of intermittent crackling of 24/192 files is solved! Cautiously, after half an hour of uninterrupted playing of 24/192 files, no crackles this far!

The problem was that I had the Devialet mistakingly plugged into a parallel Ethernet LAN! Stupid me!

Why my Mac Book Pro was able to bridge the two parallel LANs, I have no idea, but my guess is that sooner or later the problem would have become apparent also on my Mac Book Pro.

Sorry if I pestered you with all those mails. Next time, I make double sure of connecting the Devialet into the proper port!

I am also relieved that I didn’t waste more than 3000 Euros for a new Mac that wouldn’t be able to run Roon properly with my Devialet.

Thanks for all your input and advice! This is a truly great forum!

Best regards from cloudy and cold Switzerland!

Paul

1 Like

In case you still need suggestions of switch: unmanaged GS105, GS108, or Ethernet switch: Cisco SG112-24 Compact

Thanks a lot! Will look into it.

GS105 and GS108 are a good choise for a significant reduction of leakages currents entering the Devialet through the RJ45 wire. See the thread on computer audiophile. You only need an LPS for the switch with the minus DC output connected to AC ground.

Oh super, will check it out on CA (or better Ausiophile Style :grinning:)!