Crackles with Devialet Air (ethernet)

Thanks Sylvain.
As I’m using a Linux-based server, I don’t have that option under ‘Advanced’ unfortunately.
It may be a ground loop issue in my particular case, so I’ve got some ‘experimenting’ to do.

Hi Guys,

I’m a recent Roon subscriber and I will resuscitate this thread as I have precisely this problem with my new Dev 140 Pro CI. Air has crackles and dropouts immediately with the first song, and is unusable. Version: Firmware 13.0.0 + DOS 2.2.2

Direct connection via USB works fine playing the same music, whether it is on the Core machine–a direct-connected iMac–or from my networked NAS. Rock solid, no matter the file format or source. So NAS is not the issue. But Air through both ethernet or wifi have the same problem. Took buffers to 2000ms, but same issue.

I’ve read elsewhere about problems with mixing ethernet connection speeds, but direct connections are all 1000BaseT, and other suggestions about faulty cables are probably not relevant as 1) I’ve tried different cables, and 2) exactly same problem over wifi.

So, humble USB works fine and Air does not work in any configuration. Have I missed something? It would almost seem that it’s not a Roon problem but a Dev problem.

Thanks in advance,
Rexie

Are you using Devialet’s AIR (“virtual sound card”) driver, or Roon’s built-in AIR? If you’re not already doing so, I’d suggest switching to the latter as it is generally more reliable (at least in my experience).

Good question, thumb5–already on Roon’s built in Air. Never loaded the driver as I am a recent addition to the community.

And now, of course, the problem has gone away for the past hour or so using Air over Ethernet. Buffers 2000ms. There’s gremlins in the machine, apparently, and right now they’re in a good mood.

I’ll be back when they’re cranky again.

Hello, I was obliged to set buffers = 5000 ms. With this setting, I have no problem with the FIRST song. I watched memory used by Roon with Windows Manager and I noticed there is ALWAYS a sudden decrease of memory during first song, and this memory decrease creates a crackle if buffer is too small. But after this first song problem, it works perfectly, even if buffer = 50 ms. I also noticed that this problem does not exist if music library is small enough. I am still waiting for explanations from ROON about this sudden memory decrease…
Best regards,
Sylvain

Ah, one other thing: I seem to dimly recall that for the first few hours of use Roon was doing stuff in the background (finishing building the library?) that might interfere with playback. I might be wrong there, but if not perhaps that’s what’s going on in your case too. Fingers crossed that the gremlins have gone away…

New Gremlins! Well, Classic Gremlins.

I’ve got the classic “Transport: Device in Use” error. I thought that had gone out of style and had been fixed long ago based on the number of older threads on the topic. But no.

Just to clarify:

1. Direct ethernet connection, not Wifi, and all 1000 Base T.
  2. Never loaded the Air driver from before, so there is no legacy software happening
  3. Buffers were reset and no crackles and popping. But, unfortunately, no music.
  4. Works fine by USB. Air also does cool stuff like turn the Dev on via Roon controls volume etc.

Except, nothing comes out because the transport is in use. By what?

Thanks everyone…!

Hi Community! Returning to this post to help out others if they have comparable problems in the future. This problem continued despite changing buffers–I even upgraded the Devialet to a 220! No dice.

The problem has been solved. The “no problems via USB / big problems via Ethernet” scenario I had was solved by putting in new Cat 8 cables. Cat 6 should be okay, in theory, but subsequent research suggested that not all Cat 6 cables are created equal, and my little Amazon-sourced 1 ft Cat 6 cables were the culprit.

There are, of course, a whole lot of audiophile ethernet cables and perhaps I will explore their effects in the fullness of time but for the moment I am pleased to report that switching to relatively inexpensive Supra Cat8 cables solved the problem.

I hope this helps any of you having the same problem. Meanwhile, I’m back to enjoying the music… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am experiencing terrible crackling at the moment using my D Premier and Roon/Air. How do I display the Wi-Fi signal strength on the D-Premier please? I know the display has one, two or three “bars” but I thought a certain sequence of button presses on the D-Premier remote would then show the Wi-Fi signal in dB on the D-Premier display.

In the Roon app, the (i) button (in blue) displayed -62dbm (2 Bars). I have now moved the access point right next to the D Premier and that has changed to 22-dBm (3 Bars). Is this now good enough?

Any help greatly appreciated. Crackles are worse than ever.

Not directly answering your question, but have you considered using RAAT rather than Devialet AIR? That might perhaps be more reliable - there’s no guarantee but it is probably worth trying.

The D-Premier has never been upgraded so that isn’t an option unfortunately, but thank you for the suggestion. I’ve moved the access point to right next to the D-Premier now and it hasn’t crackled since, but no doubt it will be back at some point.

Oh, sorry, I forgot that wasn’t an option for the non-Pro devices.

One other point (you might already be aware of) is that there is a difference between using the Devialet AIR “virtual sound card” audio driver and using Roon’s built-in support for the AIR protocol. From the reports I’ve seen, people generally seem to find the second approach more reliable.

Anyway, good to hear that you seem to have got it working (at least for now).

1 Like

Another thumb’s up for the Roon implementation of Devialet AIR. Before I upgraded to a Pro model, this was the only way to get Roon and Devialet to work properly on my device and, as importantly, to control the Devialet from the Roon application.

Yes, using Roon’s implementation of Devialet AIR - Have been for some time now. Crackling came back again yesterday. Pretty tired of this now. I may add an Auralic G1 transport into the system and output by AES into the D Premier. I borrowed a G1 a while ago and it sounded great and, most importantly, was reliable and certainly didn’t crackle.

Well, I had the crackle problem and it was solved when I exchanged the Ethernet cable from switch to Devialet (UGREEN cat 7 flat 2nts cable) to UGREEN CAT 8 Cilíndric 1mt run. Those cables are no name Chinese but the either the length or the cable or the shielding or whatnot worked. Either way it solved the problem!

2 Likes

Wow you just switched the cable - the only difference? How did you confirm no crackles anymore?

Well, it´s been days with the new cable and no “crackles”. Previously, in the same period it would have happened, but still, I know I cannot be 100% sure. One thing I noticed with the previous cable was that the Devialet would crackle if I touched it while playing. Not with the new cable.

1 Like

Maybe somekind of grounding problem with your previous cable or loose contact?

1 Like

Yes, probably. But again, since I changed to the new cable (short run, concentric shielding) there are no more “crackles”. There may be an issue with the Ethernet interface of the Devialet. I never had “crackles” with AES/BU input. Only with Ethernet which is the one I use since Roon supported Air.

I own a 220 pro. Never had any crackels. Did a ethernet cable shoot out with cables sometime ago ans noticed nothing.

1 Like