Crackling/Popping with multichannel DSD playback

Sorry

You access it from the speaker icon bottom right corner, then the cog shaped icon

Oh, I did find it, thanks, once you pointed me to look in audio device settings

The 32 bit suggestion gave me an idea, I have reduced the maximum sample rate from 192 to 96 kHz.

It seems to solve the problem, initially at least.

1 Like

This what it looks like now. Still no crackles or pops.

1 Like

@Newton_John ā€“ very interesting!

Changing bit depth to 24-bit or 16-bit did not have any effect, for me.

But your suggested change to 96 kHz does greatly reduce (but for me, does not eliminate) the crackle/pop.

I wonder what that might suggestā€¦ anyone with more knowledge than I willing to say?

[Also ā€“ different can of worms ā€“ but I think the 96 kHz rate sounds flat to me, as compared with 192 kHZ. Iā€™m well aware that I might be imagining ā€“ especially because I have never thought I heard a different between 44.1 and 96. And I canā€™t blind-test because the difference in crackle/pop gives it away].

Before I had a DAC that could handle DSD natively, I converted some (stereo) DSD tracks to PCM. First I tried 24/88kHz PCM files, and got OK results though indeed a little lifeless/flat. Then I tried 176kHz and liked that a whole lot better - though at double the storage cost of courseā€¦

So yeah, Iā€™d say youā€™re not alone in finding 88kHz conversions lackingā€¦

1 Like

what are the HDMI specs on the AVR ā€¦ is it set to V1.3/1.4/2.0 HDMI support? Maybe this is really a processor issue that Roonā€™s output just happens to trigger issuesā€¦not taking the blame from Roon but HDMI is a POS specs wise and sometimes I wonder how anything actually works on HDMI at all.

2 Likes

Mmmmh, but before updating Rock to the last version, you donā€™t had the crackling?
Iā€™ve only one endpoint which uses HDMI directly to my AV Pre and for this one, Iā€™d reactivated the audio after the lasted update. So there seems a kernel update with some changes in audio.

What I would do:

• check multichannel flac files until 24/192
  • let the support check your system

Normally I use the exaSound e68 for (multichannel) DSD, but will test now HDMI with them.

By the way: Which AVR are you using?

noted in the original post

Ah, donā€™t noticed this.
Iā€™ve now tested a bit:

No crackling with my Emotiva XMC-1.

Normally my test files for multichannel with hdmi or SPDIF are dts files.

Also self ripped SACDs donā€™t have problems:

And another suggestion:
I donā€™t use for my system a bass management, because Iā€™ve five large speakers an one sub, but different Dirac settings.
So it can be, that your Marantz add some crackling, while using DSPs.

1 Like

Eureka!

Increasing the buffer size from Default to 500 ms has eliminated (or reduced to unnoticeable) the crackle/pops for me (so far! ā€“ fingers crossed):

I can reliably reproduce the introduction/elimination of the crackle/pop by varying buffer size between Default and 500 ms.

This is a pretty big relief. I have ~300 mch DSD albums (self-ripped from SACDs), and they are 90% of what I listen to, so this was feeling a bit nightmarish.

@Newton_John ā€“ I wonder if this would help in your setup also. And thanks for all your help.

I am very interested in peopleā€™s thoughts on what might be going on here. It seems like both reducing sample rate (reducing computational complexity of the DSDā€“>PCM conversion processā€¦?) and increasing the buffer size (stabilizing the data stream for the conversion process to work onā€¦?) have the effect of substantially reducing the noise.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions.

@Paul_Bemelmans ā€“ thanks for explaining your experience with sample rates, very helpful.

@Burkhardt_Petermann ā€“ many thanks for taking the trouble to test this on your non-typical setup ā€“ greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately, Iā€™m not sure about exactly when the change occurred. What I am sure about is: (1) ~2-3 months ago: no crackling when playing mch DSD with my setup. (2) No playing of mch DSD by me for about 2-3 months. (3) Two days ago: crackling when playing mch DSD with what I believe is an unchanged setup on my end. (4) What has changed for sure in those 2-3 months: ROCK and Roon. But I canā€™t say for sure that there was no crackle/pop right before when ROCK/Roon changed, and crackle/pop only after they changed. Hope that made sense.

Thanks to your suggestion, I did check this. Multichannel native PCM (wav, aiff) through 192 kHZ plays with no crackle/pop, and is unaffected by buffer size changes.

By reactivated do you mean disable and then re-enable that endpointā€¦?

@wizardofoz ā€“ thanks for the HDMI idea. The Marant AV7704 Pre/Pro has HDMI 2.0. But that may not be the problem, given the buffer size findingā€¦? Also, it seems to me the fact of native mch PCM 192 kHZ playing fine makes HDMI/PrePro lesss likely as the parts of the chain where the problem lies ā€“ does that sound right?

Again, thanks to all who offered suggestions, and very interested in thoughts on whatā€™s going on that causes sampling rate and buffer size adjustments to alleviate the problem.

[ @support, thereā€™s still time for you to pitch in with thoughts on this :wink: ]

1 Like

Folks, I donā€™t get it. @support, you were not able or willing to respond despite three requests from me to do so. But as soon as there is a solution that is offered thanks to the community, you mark this as solved?? I was waiting to see if the solution would hold up, and was not ready to mark it as solved yet. And I believe it is the OPā€™s prerogative to decide whether an issue is solved or not ā€“ is that not the case?

Support did NOT mark this as solved.
That is very often the action of a forum moderator.
Which was the case here by myself.
Threads are always viewable by Roon staff no matter the status.
Iā€™m sure if support have anything to add they will do so.

Not that my opinion here matters, but this strikes me as over-zealous and over-officious moderation.

Many thanks for starting the thread @otinkyad - itā€™s been a massive help to me.

Iā€™m off now to experiment with different buffer sizes to see if I use 192 kHz again.

I hadnā€™t notice any drop in sound quality going down to 96kHz, but I wasnā€™t listening for that and was just focussing on the absence of pops and clicks.

Iā€™ll be starting my own thread about channel swapping by the ROCK endpoint soon. Thatā€™s my last Roon issue, then Iā€™m good.

All the best. Regards, John

@Newton_John ā€“ Iā€™m curious whether youā€™ve had any success with the buffer size ā€“ would you be willing to share? (And I suppose knowing whether it worked for more than one person could be useful for others as well). Thanks.

@otinkyad

Changing buffer size didnā€™t work for me so Iā€™m sticking with reducing the sample rate to 96 kHz until I find a better solution.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.