Crackling sound occasionally[Solved]

Hey All

I have started to get a little bit of crackling noise when starting tracks via Roon. When it occurs, if I stop and play it again then it goes away. I am running on a Mac Mini in exclusive mode connected via USB to Classe Sigma SSP. The classe sigma ssp is new to my setup.

Any logs or anything I can look at to narrow down if this is indeed a Roon issue?

Alan

Hey @alreddawg19

Can you describe you setup in details, using this FAQ post.

Do you hear the crackling noise with every track you are trying to playback? Do they always happen at the same time in a given track, or are they more random? Can you reliably reproduce the issue?

Thanks

OK, Thanks. I hope I answered all your questions.

what version of Roon you are running (Settings > About)
build 102 1.1 64 bit

What operating system you are running (Windows 7; OSX 10.9; etc)
Max OS X 1.9.5 4 GB ram 2.5 Ghz

Describe where your music is stored – this includes hard drive description and interface type (USB, Firewire, etc. If you are using a NAS or any other kind of network storage, be sure to include the information requested in the Network section below)

This is connected to a network attached storage. The mac mini is connected to the NAS via wireless and the NAS is connected directly to the router.

What format and type of file are you trying to play?
192 kHz 24 bit FLAC

Does this issue happen with all files or just some?
I cannot reliable reproduce it - it just happens occasionally. I also had it occur with TIDAL files as well.

Where did the media come from? Did you rip it or convert yourself, or did you purchase it somewhere?
Bought from HD Tracks as a Flac file.

What output are you using? (this could be System Output on Windows, a Meridian MS200, your DAC, etc)
USB to Classe Sigma SSP

How is the output configured (the easiest way is to post a screenshot like below, but you can also tell us whether you’re using Exclusive Mode, how you have DSD conversion set up, etc)
These are set: Exclusive Mode, Use Integer Mode if supported, Disable Volume control. Max sample rate is disabled. Resync delay is 500ms. DSD playback strategy is convert to PCM.

Are you using anything else in your chain (such as DIRAC, Amarra sQ, etc)
Nothing.
Does this issue happen with different kinds of media (Tidal, FLAC, DSD, etc)
Yes, I have had this occur with TIDAL and FLAC. It’s not consistent.

Hey @alreddawg19 sorry for the slow response here. There’s nothing in line with the USB connection right?

Are you using any apps other than Roon? If so, does this only occur with Roon, or with other apps as well?

Actually, I think I figured it out. I had a external network drive that I suspected as being the culprit and I replaced it with 1TB SSD drive connected directly connected to the Mac Mini via thunderbolt and I cannot reproduce this anymore!

That is a great news @alreddawg19, thanks for an update.