Crash immediately

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac mini(Late 2012 i7 16GB)
Roon 1.6

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Router ASUS RT-AC87U
NAS Synology DS415+

All Wired

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Prismsound Orpheus (Firewire)

Description Of Issue
Hello.

It was usable for several days without any problem, but when it tries to start suddenly, it gives an error and crashes immediately after the title screen comes out.

When I connect RoonServer to Mac mini and try to connect with iPhone, I can see that the connection is unstable.

Also, even if I put Roon in iMac (2019), it crashes in the same way. Data is going to see the same NAS.

Roon’s data is also the same NAS.

flagging @support

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

Can I please ask you to send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? The best place to upload them would be via Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com.

Additionally, you mentioned that this behavior occurs on both the iMac and the Mac Mini, the only thing they have in common is the network connection? Or are they both using Firewire DAC connections?

As a temporary test - can I please ask you to disconnect the network and the DAC from the affected Cores and verify if the same issue occurs?

Hi.

I will send a link.
DAC is not connected to iMac.
I just tried starting it clean to validate it.

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

Thanks for sending those log files over, I believe I see the issue here. Roon is crashing immediately after trying to analyze this file:
Users/katoutomonori/Library/RoonMounts/RoonStorage_f5e3811ebd24b3b7b247c6580a01924f33226c13/MP3/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/08. 2.aiff

Can I please ask you to:

1. Move this file out of your watched storage locations
  2. Send this file to me via Dropbox so I can forward to QA for analysis

Hello.

If the specified file is deleted, it can be started and used normally. Thank you very much.

However, the same symptoms appear again. Probably, the symptom appears when the scanning process hits the problematic file.

Also send logs.

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

Thanks for sending the new logs over. Would you by any chance still have a copy of the Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/08. 2.aiff saved anywhere? I would like to get this over to QA for analysis to see why it causes such behavior with Roon and hopefully prevent similar issues in the future.

I am taking a look at the new logs you submitted, and it appears that Roon made some progress in scanning the media location, but there may be other problematic files. This is likely the problematic file:

/Users/ktomo/Library/RoonMounts/RoonStorage_f5e3811ebd24b3b7b247c6580a01924f33226c13/MP3/Mley Cr・/1989 - Dr. Feelgood/06 Without You.aiff

Can you please upload this file to Dropbox, send me the link and then remove from your watched location?

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

The Forum System flagged some of your posts as spam because it’s a nervous high strung sort of System. I’ve disagreed the flags and restored your posts. If you’ve had any difficulty linking to Dropbox, please try again and let me know if you have further trouble.

I am sorry that I am not good at English.

And it was a saved file, but the size was abnormally small. Perhaps what you opened there is the same as what you had locally.
I think it ’s broken.

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

Thanks again for sending those files over. Can you please let me know Roon is stable since removing these two files from your watched folder directories?

Contact was delayed. It was stable for a while after deleting the file. However, the same symptom appears again.

Hello @Tomonori_Katou,

Can you please try rebooting your Core (power off, wait 30 seconds, power back on) and then manually send me the log files as you have done previously?I wonder if there are any other such .aiff files causing issues. Can you by any chance sort the media folder to try and identify any files with an abnormally small file size?

Send log.
It takes time to search because there are too many files. please wait a moment.

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

Thanks for sending those log files over, it looks like the newly affected file is still from the same folder, this is the path:
/MP3/Mley Cr・/1989 - Dr. Feelgood/08 Sticky Sweet.aiff

Can you please check to see if all the files in that folder are abnormally small? If so I would remove the entire folder from the watched directory and also sort the rest of your music folder files for similar types of corrupt files and remove these as well.

I deleted the folder, but the same symptom appears after a while after rebooting.
Send log.

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

Thank you for sending those log files and again, I appreciate your patience though this process of identifying these problematic files.

It appears that Roon is crashing due to one of these files, can you please remove them and send them to me as you have done so previously?

/MP3/Miles Davis/'Round About Midnight/07 Two Bass Hit 1.aiff
/MP3/Miles Davis/'Round About Midnight/08 Little Melonae.aiff
/MP3/Miles Davis/Nefertiti/10 Pinocchio (Alternate Take).aiff

Are these files also abnormally small?

There is no problem with the file size. After deleting the file, it has been working for a while, but now it crashes again. Send a log.

Hello @Tomonori_Katou,

It looks like this file is causing the issue this time around:

/MP3/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/05 - Kickstart My Heart_01..aiff

I am not sure why there are so many files with similar symptoms, did you download all of the affected ones from one online source? Can you please send this Kickstart My Heart.aiff file to me?

It seems like all of these files causing issues are from your /MP3/ folder path. Have you had a chance to scan this folder for files that are similarly problematic?

Thank you for checking.

Perhaps it may have been affected by the rearrangement of files when using some music program before.

Files other than the MP3 folder contain files that have been confirmed to some extent after using the program.

P.S.
When I tried to delete and play the file, it crashed again after about 30 seconds.
Probably the same cause.

Is there a tool to identify problem files by looking at log files?