Crash report on ubuntu

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Intel® Core™ i7-8665U CPU @ 1.90GHz × 8
Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
Roon 1.7 build 667
Roon Server Installed with easy installer (x64)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

router: Fritz!Box 7530, core ethernet connected,
endpoints rpi4/ropieee/wifi, allo digione/ropiee/wifi, oppo UDP-203/wifi, Buchardts stereo hub/wifi
roon 1.7 build 571

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

rpi4 connected via USB, allo digione coax/spdif

Description Of Issue
End of crash report
Title: mono-sgen crashed with SIGSEGV in mono_exception_from_name_domain()
UnreportableReason: This package does not seem to be installed correctly
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
_MarkForUpload: True
separator:

Begin of crash report
ProblemType: Crash
Architecture: amd64
CrashCounter: 1
Date: Thu Dec 3 15:30:55 2020
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
ExecutablePath: /opt/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/mono-sgen
ExecutableTimestamp: 1600983543
ProcCmdline: /opt/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/RAATServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe
ProcCwd: /opt/RoonServer/Appliance
ProcEnviron:
SHELL=/bin/sh
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
PATH=(custom, no user)
ProcMaps:
00400000-00a82000 r-xp 00000000 08:12 40370526 /opt/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/mono-sgen
00c82000-00c8e000 rw-p 00682000 08:12 40370526 /opt/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/mono-sgen

Any hint?

Have you tried uninstalling and then re-installing the server?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Crashing on Linux

Not yet.
Can I do this without losing my database or do I need to backup and restore afterwards?

Same over here, but it happened already 5 times since the migration to Ubuntu last weekend.

I would always make a backup first.

What did you migrate from?

Concerning backup. Yes, was afraid so, since when restoring the “Recent Actvity, Added” is lost.

I migrated from an old 2013 Mac Pro.

@support No input from your side? It happens on average once a day.

Hi @Paul_Hermans,

Are there any actions that seem to trigger this? Does the crash occur even if Roon is “idle”?

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Are there any actions that seem to trigger this?

Not from a Roon client. It happens also overnight when nothing is playing.

note the time at which the error occurs.

Will do and let you know.

Paul

Dylan, please look at the following thread where at least two persons have posted their syslog entries corresponding to the exact same SIGSEGV events @Paul_Hermans is describing.

At the moment of the SIGSEGV Roon quits logging and will come back some ten seconds later when it is up again.

We are all on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. I today reinstalled my Roon core server, using a minimal install of Ubuntu server.

Hi @Paul_Hermans,

How often are you seeing this crash occur?

Can you send us the full crash report via a shared Dropbox link?

Is you Core using a static IP or DHCP? If DHCP, do you know how often it is set to renew?

@dylan Crash report at https://www.dropbox.com/s/xai50jfa4s2wl6c/crash.zip?dl=0

The core is using DHCP. The reset frequency, I need to investigate further.

@dylan The DHCP assigned IP address is valid for one day. Do I change to a fixed IP address and see if this makes a difference?

Hi @Paul_Hermans,

If that’s something you’re comfortable doing that would be a good data point.

We are investigating a few reports of this, and in at least one case we’ve tracked this down to frequent network events that were causing Roon to get into a bad state. In that case, decreasing the frequency of DHCP renewals helped resolve the problem. It’s possible that there are other networking factors that can trigger this, so ruling this out by setting a static IP would be helpful if it’s something you’re comfortable with.

Thanks!

@dylan For your diagnostics, I had a crash at 6h30 local Brussels time with fixed ip.

@dylan and another crash at 13h10 Brussels Time. Fixed IP.

Paul, I see you use Ubuntu 20.04.1 and connect your Roon server via Ethernet.

I have had similar problems and it seems that the NetworkManager process may something to do with these crashes. I’d like to ask you the following:

Do you use Ubuntu Desktop or did you install with Ubuntu Server?
How did you assign the fixed IP to your Ethernet interface on your Ubuntu machine?

I ask you this because only Ubuntu Desktop uses NetworkManager as default for Ethernet configuration, and configuration of a reserved address for the Ethernet interface on the router alone doesn’t make this configuration ‘fixed’ for NetworkManager on Ubuntu. You still would have to configure this on your Ubuntu machine.

Here is a good tutorial how to do it properly.

The idea is configure the Ethernet connection in such a way that NetworkManager isn’t involved in managing the connection. This on Ubuntu Server is so by default, but not so on Ubuntu Desktop.

Two days ago I reinstalled my Ubuntu core machine using Ubuntu Server (had been using Desktop before), and until now I have not seen a crash of Roon. Ubuntu Server by default uses networkd as renderer for its Ethernet configuration, and one can use a simple Netplan configuration to render the Ethernet interface as fully static. This should prevent further crashes if the hypothesis about NetworkManager interfering with Roon is right.

Do you use Ubuntu Desktop or did you install with Ubuntu Server?

It came with Ubuntu Desktop preinstalled.

How did you assign the fixed IP to your Ethernet interface on your Ubuntu machine?

I assigned the fixed IP address by going GUI wise into Wired Network Settings IPv4 Method = Manual and adding the address, netmask and gateway entries.

I’ll check the tutorial out this weekend.

I would prefer to stick to the Desktop version.

Thanks for following up and the debug info.

Paul

If you prefer the Ubuntu Desktop I still think it’s advisable to configure in such a way that it doesn’t use NetworkManager to manage the Ethernet interface. I think that there is a good chance that doing so will prevent Roon from crashing on your machine.

Here is a good example on how to do this. In the example you learn how to configure Ubuntu Desktop to use networkd for the managing of the Ethernet interface. The example is for Ubuntu 18.04 but applies for 20.04. In 18.04 Ubuntu changed their way of network management, introducing a new tool called Netplan which delegates to either NetworkManager (on Desktop) or networkd (on Server).

For wireless interfaces it’s always NetworkManager which manages the interface.