Crash. roon suddenly fails, mid-playback, to recognize bluesound devices

Hi @Keith_Ewing,

Thanks for letting me know regarding the new timestamps.

I am also reviewing the logs once more and I am just seeing periodic disconnects from our accounts servers. Can you please double check that the router firmware that you have installed on the ASUS AC3100 is up to date? There was recently a firmware update for the router on 5/13/19 and it can be found here.

If the issue still occurs after a router firmware update, I our best method forward here is to try to localize the issue to just one device in the chain. You mentioned previously that you would be able to do some testing here:

I think it would be time to give this a try just in case it is one of these endpoints that is causing a sync issue in the rest, my suspicion would be on the Pulse Mini, especially since it wouldnā€™t stream last time.

Can you please perform the following test when you have a chance?

• Ungroup all of your Bluesound devices
  • Try to play to them individually for a few hours, see if that works
  • Group just the Valut 2i + Powernode
  • See if this grouping remains stable
  • Group the Powernode + Pulse mini and play for a few hours
  • See if this remains stable

If we can track down this behavior just to this one DAC then we are in a much better position moving forward. Please let me know your thoughts.

ā€“ Noris

Noris.

1. I updated the firmware for the router, thanks.
  2. Meanwhile, I believe it was last Friday I had a TERRIBLE series of relentless crashes and subsequent reboots.
  3. Desperate, I tried all your suggested ungroupings and re-groupings of my Bluesound devices.
  4. Like you, I always suspected the Pulsemini in the basement.
  5. However, just to keep the mystery alive, Iā€™ve been streaming faultlessly with Roon-Quobuz-Bluesound for some three days (my historical maximum, weā€™ll see) with only the Powernode & Pulsemini grouped - recall that BOTH are wireless - and the Vault UNgrouped but active, still ethernetted (I had feared Iā€™d lose functionality with the Vault ungrouped but Roon still includes it and it goes to show I know NOTHING about how all these devices really interact).
  6. Hence, Iā€™m keen to leave everything as it is. Maybe even try un-ethernetting my laptop because my configuration is a mess having to hardwire the laptop. But Iā€™ll give it another day before going wireless on the core again.

Thanks for help, hereā€™s hopingā€¦

Noris, I experimented with grouping and un-grouping Bluesound devices and Iā€™m happy to report:

1. Iā€™m streaming reliably for the past 5 days or so, a truly record-breaking duration for me. I induced a crash recently, I suspect, by way of experimenting with a router setting that BluOS support told me may or may not help and apparently it indeed caused an almost immediate problem following reboot of the router. BluOS said, "IGMP Snooping: This should be on as it groups the device broadcasting Multicast traffic ( the Player ) with the device looking for that traffic ( the Controller ). Some devices operate Multicast traffic more efficiently without having this setting on so you will need to see what performs best based in your specific network environment." Hmmā€¦ like I said, it seems clear to me that I indeed happen to require this setting to be disabled.
  2. To clarify the description of my apparently successful, reliable setup:
  • Powernode2i is wireless, grouped.
  • Pulsemini2i is wireless, grouped.
  • Vault2i is ethernet, un-grouped.
  • My core/laptop is now, despite your legitimate warnings, wireless also - after a few clean days I was inspired to take the leap, whatever works, right?

All good, a happy customerā€¦! It all makes me suspect the Vault2i as the synching problem - perhaps because itā€™s indeed ethernet the grouping of it screws things up? - who knows, who cares because my system now functions as expected, Iā€™m happy, fingers crossed, thanks for your keen and timely help.

1 Like

Hi @Keith_Ewing,

Thanks for the update here and glad to hear that toggling the IGMP Snooping setting has helped and happy to hear of this resolution! Thanks again for contacting us regarding the initial issue and hope you have a continued enjoyable Roon experience :headphones:!

ā€“ Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.