Crashes on Mac Mini

Hi, @support, I’m new to Roon and want to sign up, but Roon keeps crashing on my Mac Mini. It doesn’t matter if it is playing music or not. The crashes are inconsistent. I’ve managed to play from my library and Tidal for several hours, but other times, it crashes in just a few minutes after launching and before playing.

I have a 2011 Mac Mini i5 with SSD and 16gb RAM, using a mounted share from Synology. The library is large with 100k tracks ( a lot of duplicates) and they are everything from MP3 to DSD.

I’ve read through some forum posts and it seems like lots of people have this problem.

Should I even bother continuing to use a Mac Mini for this?

If not, what’s the lowest cost, but appropriate, machine I could use to run a Roon server?

I do have a Windows 10 machine that is used for VR and gaming, and would also consider installing there, as long as it doesn’t screw up the performance for its other uses.

Thanks!

Bhavesh Patel

Hi @Bhavesh_Patel ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. Sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, I think it would be slightly premature to give up on the MacMini right now :wink: In light of the above, I have enabled diagnostics on your account as this action will automatically generate/upload a diagnostics report directly to our servers the next time your core machine comes online.

The mentioned report should give us a better sense as to what could be causing the issue on the mentioned device and then we can more accurately advise on what the “next steps forward” should be.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I have relaunched the Roon App. It has crashed once so far. I’ll keep and eye and re-launch as necessary.

thanks!

Bhavesh

Thanks for touching base with me @Bhavesh_Patel, very appreciated!

To provide you with a quick update. We have received the mentioned diagnostics report and it is currently with our tech staff who be handling the analysis. Once I have gotten some feedback from the team, I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings with you ASAP.

Your continued patience is very appreciated while we conduct our evaluation of this issue.
-Eric

Hi Eric,

Just wanted to see if there were any updates on this? Thanks,

Bhavesh

Hi @Bhavesh_Patel ----- Thank you for touching base with me and more importantly, thank you for your patience!

Moving forward, I can see your ticket is still in our tech team’s queue for analysis and in light of this I have went ahead and placed a "feedback’ request with the team as well as changing the priority on the mentioned ticket to try and expedite this process for you to the best of my ability.

Once I have a sense of the team’s progress, which should hopefully be soon_ I will be sure to reach out with another update.

-Eric

Hi @Bhavesh_Patel ---- Thank you for your continued feedback, but more importantly, thank you for your patience. I have just sent you an update via PM.

Looking forward to your update!
-Eric

Hi @Bhavesh_Patel ---- Letting you know that I have sent another PM with additional testing.

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric, Happy New Year!

I wanted to see if the team has had a chance to look at my logs and see if anything has been figured out.

I’ve had Roon Server running for weeks now, but I haven’t been using Roon due to travel, etc.

Looking at the console logs, there still appear to be crashes.

Using a Roon client from my MacBook Pro with Roon Server running on Mac Mini, the player does work, but often the music would stop and the client would lose the connection temporarily. The connection would eventually resume after half a minute to a couple of minutes.

Thanks!

Bhavesh

Hi @Bhavesh_Patel ----- Thank you for touching base with me and a Happy New Year to you as well!

Moving forward, I has sent you a PM with some additional testing as per the request of our tech team. Were you able to give the test a shot and if so, what were the observations you made?

-Eric