Crashing every few hours; constantly rescanning

Hey David,

Sorry for the slow response here.

I suggested this was related to your network or environment because there are lots of network- related errors in the logs. That could be a red herring, of course, but I’m not sure sure I can give you a comprehensive answer of all the issues that could cause those sorts of errors – they vary from mis-configuration to hardware failures to bad cables, and so on.

The issues you and @Edwin_Muskee are describing could also be related to media – if there was a file in your library with certain types of corruption, it could potentially cause your Core to crash, after which the system would restart and rescan. This also matches your symptoms.

I think a good next step here is to try and eliminate variables. If you’d like to confirm this isn’t related to media, try disabling all storage, running with a folder that only contains a few pieces of known good content. If the crashes continue, we can be reasonably sure this isn’t related to media.

You can also access the Data directory on ROCK and rename the RoonServer folder to something else (like RoonServer_main) and then try with a fresh database. Make sure you have a backup before doing this. If Roon is stable with a new database and minimal media, add the rest of your media – if the crashes come back, we’ll know this is related to something in your media library.

The same kind of testing can be done with your network. If you are experiencing these issues with your current switch and router, try connecting everything to a different router with different cables and seeing if the issue occurs – this will help us rule out networking or other environmental factors (like bad cables).

Finally, two other points:

First:

We are aware that the backup folder doesn’t show current modification time and we are fixing that, but this shouldn’t be causing the issues you’re describing. Can you reproduce the issue described above and let us know a timestamp? Then @Eric can grab some diagnostics and get a better sense of what’s happening.

Second:

@Edwin_Muskee – I would be very careful with the process described here:

By removing watched folders and cleaning the database, you are telling Roon “forget everything you know about these files” – any edits, play counts, favorites, playlist or tag appearances, etc will all be deleted.

This is a pretty extreme step, and while that might not matter if you haven’t made many edits, if something related to your media is causing crashes, we can help debug that with you, and you shouldn’t have to wipe out your database.

If you’re still having this issue, please let us know in a new thread, with all the details listed here. We can generate some diagnostics and see if there’s a file that is causing issues.

Looking forward to getting this stable for both of you – your patience is appreciated guys!